About This Chapter
Early Empires in the Near East & Asia - Chapter Summary
This chapter can help you renew your knowledge of the goods and ideas crossing China on the Silk Road, the building of the Great Wall, and the first unification of India. The concise video lessons also provide the essential information of the leaders of the Gupta Dynasty in India. At the conclusions of this chapter, you should be able to:
- Identify the geography and early settlement of China
- Describe Shang & Zhou dynasties
- Explain the Qin dynasty's role in the building of the Great Wall
- Summarize the characteristics and leaders of the Han dynasty
- State the rulers and edicts of the Mauryan empire in India
- Discuss King Ashoka and the first unification of India
- Describe the Gupta dynasty in India and its leaders
The lessons can help to simplify these social studies topic and increase your knowledge for early Indian and China empires. You will have access to video lessons, text transcripts, and self-assessment quizzes as you study. The Dashboard is an excellent tool to help you with tracking your progress in the chapter and the entire course.
1. Geography & Early Settlement of China
In this lesson, you will discover how the geography of China influenced early settlement and the creation of the first Chinese societies. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
2. Ancient China: Shang & Zhou Dynasties
In this lesson, we will study the Shang and Zhou Dynasties. We will pay close attention to the founding, major accomplishments and characteristics, and decline of these dynasties.
3. The Qin Dynasty in China: The Great Wall & Legalism
In this lesson, we will explore the short-lived but powerful Qin Dynasty of China. We will examine the dynasty's founding, life under Qin rule, the Qin legacy, and the downfall of the Qin.
4. The Han Dynasty in China: Characteristics, Wu Ti & Xiongnu
In this lesson, we will explore China's Han dynasty. We will discover the ups and downs of its history and learn about some of its major characteristics and accomplishments.
5. What Is the Silk Road? - Goods & Ideas Crossing China
In this lesson, you will explore the history of the famous Silk Roads that connected civilizations as far apart as Persia, Greece, and China. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
6. The Mauryan Empire in India: Rulers & Edicts
In this lesson, we will study India's Mauryan Empire. We will learn about its rulers, explore its government and economy, delve into its religious life, and examine its decline and disappearance.
7. King Ashoka & the First Unification of India
While often thought of as one of the most peaceful kings in history, Ashoka had a bloodthirsty past and a family heritage to match. Learn more about this king and his influence on Buddhism.
8. The Gupta Dynasty in India: Leaders & Arabic Numerals
In this lesson, we will explore India's Gupta dynasty. We will learn about its founding and expansion, discover the achievements of its people, and examine its decline and disappearance.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Social Science: Study Guide & Prep course
- About the CSET Social Science Test
- Prehistory & Early Civilizations
- Ancient Near East History
- Political & Philosophical Thought in Ancient Asia
- History of Ancient Greece & Hellenism
- The Roman Republic Rises
- History of the Fall of Rome
- Understanding the Dark Ages
- Understanding the Early Middle Ages
- Medieval Warm Period Overview
- High Middle Ages Overview
- Late Middle Ages Overview
- The Renaissance Overview
- The Age of Exploration & Discovery
- Overview of the Reformation Across Europe
- The Elizabethan Era Overview
- Overview of Colonialism
- Absolutism & Constitutionalism in Europe
- Shifting Eastern European Power (1648-1740)
- 18th Century Empire & Expansion
- The Age of Enlightenment
- The French Revolution & Napoleon Bonaparte
- Industrialization from 1700-1900
- Global Politics (1760-1848)
- Nationalism in Europe, Africa, Asia & the Americas
- Life & Trends in Europe (1850-1914)
- 19th and 20th Century Imperialism
- The World Post-WWI
- Overview of World War II
- Western Civilization Post-WWII
- Early Civilizations in the Americas & Colonization
- Settling North America & the Colonies
- Understanding the American Revolution
- The Making of a Nation after the American Revolution
- The Virginia Dynasty
- Jacksonian Democracy
- Everyday Life in Antebellum America
- Manifest Destiny & American Expansion
- America's Civil War
- After the Civil War: Reconstruction
- Westward Expansion, Industrialization & Urbanization (1870-1900)
- The Progressive Era of the Early 20th Century
- Overview of American Imperialism & World War I
- 1920s America
- Overview of the Great Depression
- World Events & Politics After World War II (1946-1959)
- Events & Presidents During the Cold War (1950-1973)
- Civil Rights & Other Movements in the US (1954-1973)
- Presidential Domestic Policy 1970-Present
- Overview of California History
- Principles & Concepts of American Democracy
- Fundamental Values & Principles of Civil Society
- Branches of Government in the U.S.
- U.S. Supreme Court Landmark Cases
- The U.S. Election Process
- Levels of Government in the United States
- Media Influence in the U.S.
- Comparing Political Systems
- Tension in U.S. Democracy
- Basic Terms & Concepts in Economics
- American Market Economy
- The Relationship between Politics & Economics
- U.S. Labor Markets in a Global Setting
- Aggregate Economic Behavior of the American Economy
- International Trade & the Economy
- Tools & Perspectives of Geographic Study
- Geographic Diversity of Natural Landscapes & Human Societies
- Culture & the Physical Environment
- Environmental Science Basics
- Effects of Humans on the Environment
- CSET Social Science Flashcards