About This Chapter
Early History of Microbiology - Chapter Summary
Work through this chapter to study the early of microbiology. As you follow along with our expert science instructors, you'll become familiar with significant discoveries, developments and theories from in the history of microbiology. To help you reinforce your understanding of the lesson topics, we've included self-assessment quizzes and a chapter exam. You can complete the chapter at your own pace, and the lessons can be revisited as many times as needed. If you have a question, simply reach out to our instructors online. When you're finished with the chapter, you should be able to:
- Summarize the history of microbiology
- Evaluate the discoveries and theories of Anton Van Leeuwenhoek
- Define Pasteur's germ theory of disease
- Explain how immunity was discovered
- Understand basic concepts pertaining to vaccines and antibiotics
- Trace chemotherapy's development
1. What is Microbiology? - Definition & History
Microbiology is the study of the tiny world of microorganisms. Go deeper into the study of microbiology, learn about bacteria, viruses, and pathogens. Explore how microbiologists do their work, and the history of the discipline.
2. Anton Van Leeuwenhoek: Biography, Cell Theory & Discoveries
Anton Van Leeuwenhoek is credited as the 'Father of Microbiology' due to his advancements in the scientific field using drastic improvements to microscopes, leading to immense discovery. Learn his brief biography, major discoveries, and contribution to cell-theory through his work.
3. The Germ Theory of Disease: Definition & Louis Pasteur
Louis Pasteur's Germ Theory of Disease asserts that microorganisms contribute to human illness. Learn how bacteria colonize on surfaces, how Pasteur's Germ Theory of Disease actually refutes spontaneous generation, and how microbiology affects food safety.
4. The Discovery of Immunity
You know that the immune system helps protect you from infections. But have you ever wondered how you know this? Who were the first people to learn that the body can protect itself from germs?
5. Antibiotics and Vaccines
Antibiotics and vaccines have a great contribution to the increase in life expectancy over time. Learn more about the history of antibiotics and vaccines, and how different types of vaccines are developed.
6. Development of Chemotherapy
Chemotherapy is a common treatment for cancer, but it has come a long way from its early days. In this lesson we'll take a trip back in history to see how chemotherapy was developed, though its roots may surprise you!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the UExcel Microbiology: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Fundamentals of Microbiology
- Microbiology Laboratory Procedures
- Understanding Genetics & DNA
- Understanding Metabolism
- Bacterial Biology
- Understanding Diseases
- Protozoan Diseases
- Understanding Viruses
- Overview of DNA Viruses
- Overview of RNA Viruses
- Overview of Fungal Infections
- Illnesses & Infections of the GI Tract
- Overview of Bacterial STDs
- Understanding Blood-Borne Bacterial Diseases
- Respiratory Bacterial Infections
- Bacterial Skin and Wound Infections
- Immunology Basics
- Structure & Function of the Immune System
- Overview of Antigens
- Disorders of the Immune System
- Serological & Diagnostic Reactions
- Antimicrobial Drugs Overview
- Sterilization & Antiseptic Methods
- Chemical Methods of Microbial Control
- Effectiveness of Antiseptics & Disinfectants
- Microbiology & the Environment
- Food & Industrial Microbiology Overview
- UExcel Microbiology Flashcards