About This Chapter
Early History of Microbiology - Chapter Summary
Work through this chapter to study the early of microbiology. As you follow along with our expert science instructors, you'll become familiar with significant discoveries, developments and theories from in the history of microbiology. To help you reinforce your understanding of the lesson topics, we've included self-assessment quizzes and a chapter exam. You can complete the chapter at your own pace, and the lessons can be revisited as many times as needed. If you have a question, simply reach out to our instructors online. When you're finished with the chapter, you should be able to:
- Summarize the history of microbiology
- Evaluate the discoveries and theories of Anton Van Leeuwenhoek
- Define Pasteur's germ theory of disease
- Explain how immunity was discovered
- Understand basic concepts pertaining to vaccines and antibiotics
- Trace chemotherapy's development
1. What is Microbiology? - Definition & History
Everywhere you look, even though you can't see them, there is a hidden world of microorganisms. Microbiology is the study of this hidden world of organisms that affect our health, help make our food, and influence our environment.
2. Anton Van Leeuwenhoek: Biography, Cell Theory & Discoveries
Anton Van Leeuwenhoek, the 'Father of Microbiology,' so improved the quality of the microscope that some people still think he invented the instrument. In this lesson, we'll learn more about this self-taught scientist, including some of his important discoveries and unique way of presenting his work.
3. The Germ Theory of Disease: Definition & Louis Pasteur
In this lesson, we will look at one of the most influential experiments in the field of microbiology. We will learn how Louis Pasteur disproved the theory of spontaneous generation which helped lead to the development of the germ theory of disease.
4. The Discovery of Immunity
You know that the immune system helps protect you from infections. But have you ever wondered how you know this? Who were the first people to learn that the body can protect itself from germs?
5. Antibiotics and Vaccines
Do you know why children must get regularly vaccinated? Have you ever wondered how an antibiotic works and why they are so widely prescribed? If so, this lesson will help you to understand how changes in medicine have almost eliminated several deadly diseases and added decades to the average person's lifespan.
6. Development of Chemotherapy
Chemotherapy is a common treatment for cancer, but it has come a long way from its early days. In this lesson we'll take a trip back in history to see how chemotherapy was developed, though its roots may surprise you!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UExcel Microbiology: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Fundamentals of Microbiology
- Microbiology Laboratory Procedures
- Understanding Genetics & DNA
- Understanding Metabolism
- Bacterial Biology
- Understanding Diseases
- Protozoan Diseases
- Understanding Viruses
- Overview of DNA Viruses
- Overview of RNA Viruses
- Overview of Fungal Infections
- Illnesses & Infections of the GI Tract
- Overview of Bacterial STDs
- Understanding Blood-Borne Bacterial Diseases
- Respiratory Bacterial Infections
- Bacterial Skin and Wound Infections
- Immunology Basics
- Structure & Function of the Immune System
- Overview of Antigens
- Disorders of the Immune System
- Serological & Diagnostic Reactions
- Antimicrobial Drugs Overview
- Sterilization & Antiseptic Methods
- Chemical Methods of Microbial Control
- Effectiveness of Antiseptics & Disinfectants
- Microbiology & the Environment
- Food & Industrial Microbiology Overview
- UExcel Microbiology Flashcards