About This Chapter
Earth Patterns, Cycles & Change - Chapter Summary
The information in this chapter will help you go the terminology for major scientific processes that occur on our planet. Examine the lessons to get reacquainted with various topics including:
- The impact of planetary rotation and revolution
- Stages of the water cycle
- Water and the carbon cycle
- Fossil fuels, acid rain, and the nitrogen cycle
- Earth-changing processes and phenomena
- Climate change
This chapter has been created specifically to help users who are a little rusty on this information about the patterns, cycles, and changes of the Earth. Each lesson gives you a focused recap, which allows you to get up to speed on concepts you haven't reviewed in a while.
You can make the choice to review every lesson in the chapter or touch on only a few of them. Each lesson stays focused on a single major topic, and the lessons are labeled accordingly for your convenience. Therefore, you can scroll through the chapter menu and pick the lessons you want to go over. As each lesson can stand alone, you can view them in any order you wish. Furthermore, you can revisit lessons as many times as it takes for you to feel like you have mastered the materials.
1. Effects of the Earth's Rotation & Revolution
This lesson explores the factors that influence seasons, daylight, and temperatures on our planet, including rotation and radiation. At the end, you can test your knowledge with a brief quiz.
2. The Water Cycle: Precipitation, Condensation, and Evaporation
This lesson discusses the processes water takes as it moves around the Earth in the water cycle. You'll get an in-depth look at condensation, precipitation, and evaporation.
3. What Is the Role of Water in the Carbon Cycle?
In this lesson, we'll go over the basics of the carbon cycle, then we'll examine the role water plays. We'll look at the role of both oceans and precipitation.
4. The Nitrogen Cycle, Acid Rain and Fossil Fuels
Do you know the difference between nitrite and nitrate? Do you have any clue how all the nitrogen in the atmosphere becomes usable? If you can't answer these questions, then you need to watch this lesson on the nitrogen cycle.
5. The Changing Earth: Volcanoes, Weathering & Deposition
While we may not see it every day, the world is always changing. In this lesson, with the help of an ill-informed tour guide, we will see how volcanoes, weathering, and deposition work to continually change the surface of our planet.
6. Factors Involved in Climate Change
Our Earth's climate has changed many times in her 4.5 billion year lifetime. Discover the multiple factors that influence these changes and test your understanding with a short quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Elementary Education - Multiple Subjects (5001): Practice & Study Guide course
- Overview of Phonics Education
- Fluency in Education
- Speaking & Listening
- Words, Phrases & Language
- Elements of Literary Texts
- Informational Texts & Text Complexity
- Overview of Writing Types
- Characteristics of Effective Writing
- Writing Development & Digital Tools
- English Grammar & Grammatical Errors
- Writing Research & Citation
- World Exploration & Colonization
- Road to the American Revolution
- The American Revolution
- Major Events in U.S. History
- 20th Century Developments in the U.S.
- Overview of Government Systems
- Basic Economics
- Historical Documents of the United States
- Principles of American Democracy
- Basics of Human Geography
- Major Contributions of Classical Societies
- 20th Century Developments in World History
- The History of the European Union
- Interpreting History from Different Perspectives
- Place Value System
- Rational Number Operations & Properties
- Representing Rational Numbers & Operations
- Proportional Relationships & Percents
- Number Theory & Mathematical Reasoning
- Introduction to Algebraic Expressions
- Solving Linear Equations & Inequalities
- Mathematical Patterns
- Fundamentals of Geometric Figures & Angles
- 2D & 3D Shapes
- Finding Area, Perimeter, Surface Area & Volume
- Coordinate Plane
- Solving Real World Math Problems
- Statistical Concepts
- Measurement and the Metric System
- Data Display Methods
- Circle, Bar & Line Graphs
- Probability Concepts
- Scientific Thinking & Research
- Structure of Matter
- Basics of Forces & Motion
- Work, Power & Energy
- Interactions of Energy & Matter
- Overview of Geomorphology
- Earth & the Solar System
- Basic Components of Living Things
- Change in Living Things
- Biodiversity, Adaptation & Classification
- Personal Nutrition & Health Problems
- Praxis Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects Flashcards