About This Chapter
Earth Science Research and Society
In this chapter, you'll discover what it means to have a scientific breakthrough and what processes are involved in these breakthroughs. You'll get info on what role society plays in scientific research focused on the earth's surface. After watching all the video lessons in this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Understand how science has changed society
- Explain how scientific discoveries can cause people to change their beliefs
- Explore how science, technology and the economy shape societies
- Define cultural lag
The instructors who teach the lessons on Earth science research and its role in society are experienced and knowledgeable educators in their field. They lead short, engaging video lessons that include comprehensive information on earth science research, along with entertaining graphics that make learning this material fun and interesting.These lessons emphasize key terms that are critical to this area of study. You'll also get to utilize self-graded quizzes to test your knowledge of the subject matter. If you missed something the first time you watched a lesson, you can revisit important points in the lessons using the video tags provided. Each video lesson also comes with a lesson transcript.
1. How Science, Technology & Economic Activity Shape Societies
After watching this video, you will be able to explain how science, technology and economic activity have shaped human societies, from the agricultural revolution to the Industrial Revolution to the digital age. A short quiz will follow.
2. Cultural Lag: Definition, Theory & Examples
Did you know that the ethical conflicts related to genetically modifying DNA are an example of cultural lag? In this lesson, we'll discuss cultural lag and learn from examples.
3. How Science Has Changed Society
Without science, our modern world just wouldn't be the same. The way we travel, shop, learn, socialize, eat, work, and play is possible because of scientific influences and innovations. Take a look around, and you'll see science pretty much everywhere!
4. How Scientific Discoveries Can Cause People to Change Their Beliefs
Personal beliefs are one thing that people hold to very tightly. However, over time, with enough scientific evidence, a critical eye and consistent experiments, science can and does change people's beliefs in ways that simple observations cannot.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Earth & Space Science 6-12 (008): Test Practice & Study Guide course
- Scientific Research & Analysis for Earth and Space Science
- Scientific Models & Tools for Earth and Space Science
- Science Laboratory Safety
- Understanding Earth's Spheres & Internal Structure
- Rocks & Minerals
- The Lithosphere
- Processes of Earth's Surface
- Geological Time
- Overview of Energy Resources
- Effects of Humans on the Environment
- Ocean & Coastal Processes
- The Atmosphere
- Weather and Storms
- Climate Phenomena
- Astronomical Objects & Processes
- Space Exploration
- FTCE Earth & Space Science 6-12 Flashcards