About This Chapter
Earth, Space Science & Weather - Chapter Summary
This chapter delves into key topics within the fields of earth, space, and weather science. It examines how related forces interact with each other as well as the forms these forces and their components can take. You'll learn about topics such as atmospheric circulation, types of air masses, earth's internal layers, as well as all of the following:
- Geologic history
- An overview of the solar system
- How the earth and sun impact moon phases
- The effect of the moon, sun, and gravity on tides
- How the earth's rotation results in day and night
- The definition and types of weather
- Processes involved in the water and rock cycles
You can test your understanding of the content topic-by-topic through practice quizzes attached to each lesson. These quizzes can be taken an unlimited number of times and can also be printed as worksheets for offline use. And if you find yourself stuck on any given facet of the chapter, you can always pose questions to our professional instructors through the teacher or help tab.
1. Earth Processes & Geologic History
In this lesson we will learn about Earth's myriad geologic processes and examine how they have changed its surface and materials over the course of geologic history.
2. Earth's Internal Layers: Crust, Mantle & Core
Earth is made up of several different layers, each with unique properties. In this video lesson, you will identify each layer of Earth and how it relates to Earth as a whole.
3. Solar System Overview
This lesson will go over the major aspects of our solar system, including the sun, planets, moons, asteroids, comets, meteors, meteorites, and meteoroids.
4. How Earth & the Sun Affect the Phases of the Moon
This lesson will describe how the moon, Earth, and sun combine to form the phases of the moon. We'll also discuss the important concept of synchronous rotation.
5. How Gravity, the Moon & the Sun Influence Tides
This lesson will define tides, the tidal force, neap tide, and spring tide. It will also talk about how the sun, moon, and Earth interact to produce tidal bulges.
6. Day vs. Night: Earth & Space Science for Kids
Have you ever wondered why part of the world has daytime while the other part has nighttime? This lesson will answer that question by exploring the causes of day and night! Pictures and descriptions are all included.
7. Weather: Definition & Types
Talk about weather is everywhere: on the news, in the papers, and in almost every conversation. What causes it all, though? In this lesson, we will define weather, take a look at the different types, and learn what causes weather changes to take place.
8. Oceanic & General Atmospheric Circulation
The movement of air and water across the planet is the driving force of climate and weather patterns. There are many factors that affect ocean and atmospheric circulation, and here we will explore what they are and how they function. At the end, you can test your knowledge with a brief quiz.
9. Types of Air Masses & Their Effect on Weather
Air masses affect weather in a number of different ways. In this lesson, you will learn about the different types of air masses found on Earth and how the movement of air masses creates changes in the weather.
10. The Water Cycle: Precipitation, Condensation, and Evaporation
This lesson discusses the processes water takes as it moves around the Earth in the water cycle. You'll get an in-depth look at condensation, precipitation, and evaporation.
11. Rock Cycle: Igneous, Sedimentary, and Metamorphic Rocks
In this lesson, we will discuss the three main types of rocks and how they are formed. The lesson also gives an introduction into how matter locked in rocks can be cycled through the earth.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Elementary Education (CEOE) (050/051): Practice & Study Guide course
- Oral Language Development
- Literacy Development & Print Awareness
- Early Literacy Word Recognition and Spelling
- Late Stages Literacy Word Recognition & Spelling
- Fluency & Reading Development
- Vocabulary Knowledge & Skills
- Reading Comprehension Instruction
- Understanding & Analyzing Literary & Narrative Texts
- Analyzing Informational & Expository Texts
- The Writing Process & Language
- Writing to a Specific Audience
- Elements of Literary Research
- Oral & Visual Communication
- Historical Concepts & Research Skills
- Government, Civics & Economics
- Fundamental Geography Concepts
- History Study Skills
- Oklahoma & U.S. Political History
- Global Political History
- Historical Analysis & Interpretation
- Number Sense, Numeration & Operations
- Algebraic Patterns, Equations & Functions
- Geometry & Properties of Shapes
- Measurement in Math
- Area, Perimeter, Surface Area & Volume
- Time, Proportions, Ratios, Rates, Velocity & Density
- Statistics & Charts
- Probability & Events
- Math & Problem Solving
- Mathematical Representation & Communication
- The Nature & History of Science
- Scientific Process & Inquiry
- Physical Science Fundamentals
- Types of Living Organisms
- Interactions Among Living Things
- Health & Fitness in Children
- Visual Arts Concepts
- Music, Drama, Theater & the Arts
- OSAT Elementary Education (CEOE) (050/051) Flashcards