About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Earthquakes chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Earthquake components||An earthquake's focus and epicenter, foreshocks and aftershocks, locations of major tectonic plate boundaries|
|Tuesday||Causes of earthquakes||Faults, tectonic plate movement, the theory of elastic rebound, body and surface seismic waves|
|Wednesday||Seismic activity||Uses of seismographs and seismograms, the behavior of primary and secondary body waves|
|Thursday||Earthquake magnitude||Steps in the Richter scale, the moment magnitude scale, magnitudes of the most common earthquakes|
|Friday||Earthquake destruction||Mudslides, liquefaction, tsunamis, structural damage to roads and buildings|
1. What is an Earthquake? - Definition and Components
Earthquakes are well known for the damage and destruction they leave behind. But what is an earthquake? In this video lesson you will learn about what causes earthquakes and the various components involved in these powerful natural disasters.
2. The Causes of Earthquakes
In this video lesson you will learn what causes earthquakes and where they occur. You will also understand the theory of elastic rebound, and how this relates to movement of the earth's crust.
3. Identifying and Understanding Earthquakes Using Seismic Activity
Scientists can learn a lot about earthquakes by studying how they move ground. Using seismic activity, we can learn where an earthquake originated as well as how strong it was. In this video lesson, you will learn about seismic activity and how it relates to our understanding of earthquakes.
4. Aftershocks & Foreshocks of an Earthquake
An earthquake is not an isolated event of ground shaking. Foreshocks and aftershocks occur with most earthquakes, and in this video lesson you will learn about them and how they are part of the overall process.
5. Using the Richter Scale to Measure Earthquakes
In this video lesson, you will learn about earthquake magnitude and how it is measured. You will also learn how that relates to the amount of energy released during an earthquake, as well as how common different magnitude earthquakes are around the world.
6. Destruction Caused by Earthquakes
Earthquakes are well-known for their damage and destruction, and in this video lesson you will learn about the different types of damage that these dangerous natural disasters can cause.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Physical Geology Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Introduction to Geology Lesson Plans
- Earth Materials Lesson Plans
- Mineral Types & Uses Lesson Plans
- Earth & Celestial Rocks Lesson Plans
- Igneous Rocks Lesson Plans
- Sedimentary Rocks Lesson Plans
- Rock Deformation & Mountain Building Lesson Plans
- Weathering & Erosion Lesson Plans
- Running Water Lesson Plans
- Ground Water Lesson Plans
- Glaciers Lesson Plans
- Oceans Lesson Plans
- Deserts & Wind Lesson Plans
- Water Balance Lesson Plans
- Origins of the Universe Lesson Plans
- Geologic Time Lesson Plans
- Earth's Spheres & Internal Structure Lesson Plans
- Atmospheric Sciences Lesson Plans
- Plate Tectonics Lesson Plans
- Energy Resources Lesson Plans
- Renewable & Nonrenewable Resources Lesson Plans
- Economic Geology & Mineral Resources Lesson Plans
- Human Impact on the Environment Lesson Plans
- Environmental Sustainability Lesson Plans
- Environmental Risk Analysis Lesson Plans
- Environmental Ethics Lesson Plans