About This Chapter
Earthquakes & Volcanoes Overview - Chapter Summary
If you are looking for a resource that can strengthen your understanding of earthquakes and volcanoes, this entertaining chapter can help! Explore a variety of informative lessons that cover volcanic eruptions, the Richter scale, earthquake destruction and more. Completing this chapter will enable you to:
- Explain how volcanoes and earthquakes offer evidence of Earth's inner layers
- Detail how earthquakes are measured using the Richter scale
- List types of damage caused by earthquakes
- Describe the gases released and effects of volcanic eruptions
- Define and discuss the uses and effects of volcanic ash
This chapter offers a unique opportunity to learn from top instructors without the time restrictions associated with scheduled classes or tutoring sessions, thanks to around-the-clock online access to the lessons. Study earthquakes and volcanoes at the pace that works for you, and find out how much you understand about these natural events by taking mini-quizzes as well as a practice exam. If you develop questions while exploring the lessons, feel free to submit them to our subject-matter experts. Utilizing these resources can ensure you're ready to take your assessment.
1. Earthquakes and Volcanoes: Evidence of Earth's Inner Layers
The interior layers of the earth are not able to be observed directly, so scientists need to rely on other information to learn about it. S waves, P waves, and magma from volcanoes and earthquakes give a glimpse at the layers of the earth by providing data that can be built into a model of the earth.
2. Using the Richter Scale to Measure Earthquakes
In this video lesson, you will learn about earthquake magnitude and how it is measured. You will also learn how that relates to the amount of energy released during an earthquake, as well as how common different magnitude earthquakes are around the world.
3. Destruction Caused by Earthquakes
Earthquakes are well-known for their damage and destruction, and in this video lesson you will learn about the different types of damage that these dangerous natural disasters can cause.
4. Volcanic Eruption: Gases Released & Their Effects
Volcanic eruptions emit water vapor and toxic gases into the atmosphere. Learn about the gases emitted from an erupting volcano, such as carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide, hydrogen sulfide, hydrochloric acid and carbon monoxide and their effects in this video lesson.
5. What is Volcanic Ash? - Definition, Uses & Effects
In this lesson, we'll cover what volcanic ash is and how it's made. We will also go over uses for volcanic ash, as well as the positive and negative effects of this substance.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the M-STEP Science - Grade 11: Test Prep & Practice course
- Scientific Inquiry & Reflection
- Earth Systems Overview
- Energy & Biochemical Cycles in Earth Systems
- Human Impacts on Earth Systems
- Advanced Rock Cycle
- The Interior of the Earth
- Plate Tectonics Theory
- Hydrogeology Overview
- Oceans & Climate
- Weather and Storms
- The Earth & Sun as a Part of a Galaxy
- Basics of Earth History & Geologic Time
- Climate Change
- Transformation of Matter & Energy in Cells
- Living Organism Composition
- Interdependence of Living Systems & the Environment
- Ecosystems & Populations
- DNA & Mutations
- Mitosis & Meiosis
- Evolution & Biodiversity
- Physics & the Motion of Objects
- The Physics of Forces & Motion
- Forms of Energy
- Basics of Waves
- Light, Electricity & Nuclear Reactions
- Energy Transfer & Conservation
- Properties & States of Matter
- Chemical Changes in Matter
- M-STEP Science - Grade 11 Flashcards