About This Chapter
Earth's Natural Resources - Chapter Summary
Bring back your memories concerning what you've learned about Earth's natural resources by going through this chapter. As you move from lesson to lesson, you will recall key facts about technological advancements in renewable energy, energy usage, natural resource availability, and several other related topics. By completing this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Describe both non-renewable and renewable resources
- Identify the differences between passive and active solar heating
- Analyze the advantages and disadvantages of biomass
- Check out the pros and cons of wind energy, hydropower, and geothermal energy
- Compare energy efficiency and energy conservation
- Define cleaner coal technology and the impact of coal mining
- Examine the extraction methods and availability of natural gas and oil
- Explain concerns with radioactive waste and nuclear power
- Point out the consequences and causes of deforestation
- Offer examples of how rangelands are used and issues with degradation
Besides studying each lesson, you can also practice for any major exam by answering the questions on our lesson quizzes. Each quiz consists of around five questions, and these questions will measure your knowledge concerning terminology, definitions, concept applications, events, image recognition, and more. Additionally, since we show you your quiz scores right away, you'll know immediately whether you understand a topic or if you should go back and review it.
1. Renewable & Non-Renewable Resources: Definition & Differences
We use a variety of Earth's resources, but not all of them will be around forever. This lesson explains the difference between resources that can be regenerated for our use and those that are gone after they are used once.
2. Solar Energy: Understanding Active and Passive Solar Heating
Solar energy is the energy we harness from the sun. We can use this energy to heat our homes. Learn about the design elements needed for passive solar heating and the equipment needed for active solar heating.
3. Biomass for Renewable Energy: Pros and Cons
Biomass is organic material that can be used to generate heat, electricity, and even fuel. In this lesson, you will learn about the advantages of this abundant and renewable energy source as well as the disadvantages.
4. Wind Energy: Pros and Cons
Wind energy is a renewable form of energy that involves harnessing the natural energy of the wind. Learn how wind is used to generate electricity and the pros and cons of this energy source.
5. Hydropower: Pros and Cons
Hydropower is power generated from moving water. Learn how this energy from water can be harnessed by hydropower plants to generate electricity as well as the pros and cons of this renewable energy source.
6. Geothermal Energy: Advantages and Disadvantages
Geothermal energy is heat energy that is stored within the earth. Learn the methods being used to tap into this thermal energy to heat buildings and generate electricity as well as the advantages and disadvantages of this renewable energy source.
7. Energy Conservation and Energy Efficiency: Examples and Differences
Saving energy is an important topic, but energy conservation and energy efficiency are not the same thing. Learn what the difference is and some examples of both energy conservation and energy efficiency.
8. Coal Mining: Environmental Impacts and Technologies Used To Make Cleaner Coal
Coal is an abundant fuel source, but burning coal is problematic for the environment. In this lesson, you will learn about clean coal technologies, such as coal washing, flue gas desulfurization systems, low-NOx burners, gasification, and Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS).
9. Oil and Natural Gas Reserves: Availability, Extraction and Use
Oil and natural gas reserves are found underground and must be extracted using a drilling method. In this lesson you will learn about the many uses of oil and natural gas, the availability of these valuable resources and how they are extracted.
10. Risks of Nuclear Power Plants and Radioactive Waste: Safety and Health Concerns
Nuclear power can generate electricity without greenhouse gas emissions. However, there are concerns about its safety. Learn about the safety and health concerns associated with the threat of nuclear meltdowns, as well as the challenges involved in storing radioactive waste.
11. What is Groundwater? - Definition & Explanation
Groundwater accounts for up to 20% of all the fresh water on Earth. This lesson will explain what ground water is and its important aspects. Once you've finished the lesson, test your understanding with a quiz.
12. Deforestation: Definition, Causes & Consequences
Deforestation is the clearing of trees without the intent of replacing them or reestablishing a stand of trees. Learn reasons for deforestation and discover the consequences of this process in all forests, including tropical forests.
13. Rangelands: Uses and Degradation
Rangeland covers much of the land area of the world. The lack of rainfall in these areas makes it useful land for grazing livestock and provides environmental benefits. Learn about the uses of rangeland and the potential for rangeland degradation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Virginia SOL - Earth Science: Test Prep & Practice course
- Measurements in Earth Science
- Conducting Earth Science Experiments
- Scientific Reasoning & Logic
- Characteristics of Earth & the Solar System
- Space Exploration
- Intro to Rocks, Minerals & Soil
- Basics of Plate Tectonics
- Earth's Freshwater Resources
- Fossils & Geologic Time
- Ocean & Coastal Processes
- Evolution of the Atmosphere
- Climate, Weather & Energy Transferring
- Origin & Evolution of the Universe
- Virginia SOL - Earth Science Flashcards