About This Chapter
Earth's Oceans, Atmosphere & Climate - Chapter Summary
This chapter includes lessons on Earth's oceans, atmosphere, and climate. There are discussions covering ocean currents, the rise and fall of tides, surface winds, fog, and more. After completing the chapter, you should be prepared to:
- Discuss the forces that drive deep water and surface ocean currents
- Explain the effects of tides on coastal regions
- Explore the effects of atmospheric pressure
- Describe how surface winds are created
- Detail how cyclonic weather patterns form
- Discuss the different types of humidity
- Explain how precipitation forms from condensation
- Recognize the difference between climate and weather
We use brief video lessons that help you quickly and easily understand the topics presented. Our expert instructors provide plenty of examples. You can use the Help feature to submit questions to instructors if you get stuck on a topic. A brief multiple-choice quiz is available for each lesson to test your knowledge, and you can print the lesson quizzes for use as worksheets.
1. What are Ocean Currents? - Definition & Types
Currents are responsible for circulating water throughout the earth's oceans. This lesson will discuss surface ocean currents, deep water ocean currents, and the forces that drive them.
2. What Are Tides? - Causes & Effects
Tides rise and fall under the influence of the gravitational pull of the moon and sun. Learn about different tides, why they are predictable and their effects on coastal regions of the world.
3. The Structure of the Atmosphere
If you've ever climbed a mountain or been to the beach, you know that the atmosphere is different at different levels. This lesson explains how the structure of the atmosphere is really like a layer cake.
4. Atmospheric Pressure: Definition & Effects
Atmospheric pressure is around us all of the time. The air you are breathing has weight, and although it doesn't weigh a lot, there is a lot of it around. This lesson will cover atmospheric pressure and its effects.
5. How Surface Winds Are Created
Surface winds are the winds that you feel outside near the surface of the Earth. This lesson looks into why winds exist in some locations and not others and also at the driving forces for these winds.
6. Cyclones & Anticyclones: Ridges & Troughs
Rotating air in the atmosphere can create some of the most destructive weather patterns on earth. This lesson will examine how some of these cyclonic patterns form and what they mean for our weather forecasts.
7. Types of Condensation
There is evidence of condensation all around you, even if you don't know it! This lesson will explore the different types of condensation, including dew and fog.
8. What is Humidity? - Definition, Measurements & Effects
Humidity is an important aspect of the atmosphere because it affects both weather and climate. In this video lesson you will learn about the different types of humidity and understand how temperature affects water vapor in the air.
9. What is Precipitation? - Definition, Types & Formation
Precipitation comes in many forms, but it all comes from the same general process. In this video lesson you will identify different types of precipitation, as well as how precipitation forms in the atmosphere from condensation.
10. What is a Climate? - Definition & Examples
Learn what climate is, and how not to confuse it with weather. Once you understand what a climate is, figure out what type of climate you live in by going over examples of Earth's different climate types.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NDA Exam Preparation & Study Guide course
- About the NDA Exam
- Algebra Concepts
- Advanced Algebra Concepts
- Solving Matrices & Determinants
- Trigonometry Concepts
- Geometry & Linear Equations
- Analytic Geometry
- Functions, Limits & Continuity
- Derivative Rules
- Calculations & Applications of Derivatives
- Integral Calculus
- Differential Equations & Applications
- Scalars & Vectors in Algebra
- Visualizing Statistics
- Probability Concepts in Math
- Grammar and Usage
- Improving Reading Comprehension
- Measurements in Physics
- Motion in Physics
- Basics of Work, Power & Energy
- Understanding Heat Transfer
- Sound Waves
- Light, Mirrors & Lenses
- Electric Currents & Power
- Scientific Technology, Machines & Tools
- The Atom & Structure of Elements
- Chemical Properties of Elements & Substances
- Chemical Symbols, Formulas & Reactions
- Qualities of Living Organisms
- Health Science Basics
- Solar System & Eclipses
- Achievements of Famous Scientists
- Indian History
- Overview of Major World History Events
- World Government Types
- The Earth
- Regional Geography of South Asia
- Modern Day Events in India
- NDA Exam Preparation & Study Guide Flashcards