About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other middle school Earth science work.
- Identify the Earth's spheres and structure concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our middle school Earth science tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about Earth's spheres and structure and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding the four spheres of Earth, factors that affect Earth's shape, Earth's internal layers or any other topic related to Earth's spheres and structure
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their science learning
- Prefer learning science visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their Earth's spheres and structure unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in middle school Earth science
- Don't have access to their science teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about Earth's spheres and structure simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live Earth science tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about Earth's spheres and structure on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Define and explore the field of earth science.
- Discover the ways in which fault, earthquakes and tsunamis shape the earth.
- Discuss the formation of volcanoes and learn about weathering processes.
- Describe the Earth's four spheres.
- Outline the purpose of the Earth's spheres and understand their interactions.
- Study the Earth's internal layers.
1. What is Earth Science?
Earth science is a field that includes geology, astronomy, meteorology, and oceanography. Scientists do research in these fields to discover past and future events. Learn about the dynamic field of earth science and how it affects our lives in this lesson.
2. How The Earth is Shaped: Earthquakes, Faults & Tsunamis
If you thought that the best way to describe the Earth's surface was round, think again! As this lesson shows, the world is much more like a soccer ball than you might imagine.
3. What is Earth? - Facts, Layers & Population
This lesson is about our one of kind home planet, Earth! We'll talk about what makes Earth so special, the layers inside the Earth, the unique features that are on or surround the Earth, and our own human population living on its surface.
4. The Changing Earth: Volcanoes, Weathering & Deposition
While we may not see it every day, the world is always changing. In this lesson, with the help of an ill-informed tour guide, we will see how volcanoes, weathering, and deposition work to continually change the surface of our planet.
5. The Four Spheres of Earth: Geosphere, Hydrosphere, Biosphere, and Atmosphere
Earth is made up of four distinct yet connect spheres. In this video lesson, you will learn about where each sphere is found on Earth, as well as some features commonly found in each.
6. Interactions of Earth's Spheres: Purpose and Examples
The four spheres of Earth drive all of its processes and support life on our unique planet. In this video lesson, you will see examples of how Earth's spheres interact with each other to form an overall complex and connected system.
7. Ionosphere: Definition, Facts, Temperature & Layers
In this lesson, you'll learn the basics of the ionosphere. After going over the definition, we'll explain the three layers and the importance of the ionosphere for human communication.
8. Stratosphere: Definition & Facts
This lesson will describe the defining characteristics of the stratosphere, which is the second layer of the atmosphere. These characteristics include temperature changes and the presence of the ozone layer.
9. Earth's Internal Layers: Crust, Mantle & Core
Earth is made up of several different layers, each with unique properties. In this video lesson, you will identify each layer of Earth and how it relates to Earth as a whole.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Middle School Earth Science: Tutoring Solution course
- Understanding Plate Tectonics: Tutoring Solution
- Understanding Earthquakes: Tutoring Solution
- Understanding Volcanoes: Tutoring Solution
- Rock Deformation & Mountain Building: Tutoring Solution
- Shaping the Earth's Surface: Tutoring Solution
- Thermal Energy: Tutoring Solution
- Energy in the Earth System: Tutoring Solution
- Ecology & Ecosystems: Tutoring Solution
- Earth's Energy Resources: Tutoring Solution
- Earth's Material Resources: Tutoring Solution
- Earth Science Investigation & Experimentation: Tutoring Solution