About This Chapter
Earth's Structure & Internal Processes- Chapter Summary
This chapter covers topics including the Earth's shape and layers as well as the role of the magnetic field. Topics you can review in these short lessons including:
- Different layers of the Earth and the unique properties of each layer
- Concepts such as gravity, density and stress and how they relate to geodesy
- Geologic features on and below the surface of Earth
- Formation and impact of Earth's magnetic field
These lessons can be used and viewed at home, or they can be used on-the-go with a mobile device. You can also print the quiz questions for offline study. Whether through videos, transcripts, or a chapter exam, you will gain a comprehensive knowledge of the topics addressed above.
1. Earth's Internal Layers: Crust, Mantle & Core
Earth is made up of several different layers, each with unique properties. In this video lesson, you will identify each layer of Earth and how it relates to Earth as a whole.
2. Shape of the Earth: Density, Stress & Gravity
This lesson will seek to explain geodesy and the Earth's shape. In doing so, it will highlight the concepts of gravity, density, and stress, as well as the role they play in the field of geodesy.
3. Geologic Features: Overview
Geologic features are all around us, on the earth's surface and beneath our feet, and they are part of the landscape. In this lesson, learn more about geologic features, and then test your knowledge with a quiz.
4. Earth's Magnetic Field: Formation, Changes & Impact
Earth has a magnetic field surrounding it. In this lesson, we will go through what creates it, how it changes, and what impact the change has on our planet.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Middle Grades Science (014): Practice & Study Guide course
- Scientific Inquiry & Design
- Nature of Scientific Knowledge
- Major Developments & Historical Figures in Science
- Collecting & Analyzing Scientific Data
- Science Laboratory & Field Equipment Safety
- Environmental Effects of Science & Technology
- Energy Production & Natural Resource Management
- Science & Technology in Consumer Products
- The Atomic Model, Energy & Matter
- Concepts & Relationships Between Energy & Matter
- Basics of the Periodic Table
- Chemical Compounds & Reactions
- Acid-Base Chemistry
- Solutions & Solubility
- Basic Concepts of Mechanics
- Electricity & Magnetism Concepts
- Waves & Optics
- Structure & Function of Cells & Organelles
- Basic Biochemistry of Life
- Basic Genetics
- Evolution, Natural Selection & Biological Diversity
- Hierarchical Classification of Living Things
- Plant Structures & Function
- Animal & Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Population Dynamics & Ecology
- Intro to Rocks, Minerals & Soil
- Effects of Plate Tectonics
- Historical Geology
- Water Cycle
- Earth's Oceans & Landforms
- Freshwater Characteristics & Processes
- Atmosphere & Weather
- Climate & Seasons
- Exploring Features of the Solar System
- Earth-Moon-Sun System
- GACE Middle Grades Science Flashcards