About This Chapter
Earth's Structure, Shape & Processes - Chapter Summary
Check out this collection of engaging science lessons to review topics pertaining to the earth's structure, shape and processes. As you progress through the chapter, you'll study our planet's geologic features, layers, magnetic field and more. By the end of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe the internal layers and shape of the earth
- Recognize basic geologic features
- Explain the formation and impact of the earth's magnetic field
- Identify the components of plate tectonics
- Discuss volcanic eruptions and earthquakes
These lessons are available 24/7, and they're accessible on any device that has an Internet connection. Try the accompanying self-assessment quizzes to make sure you fully understand these earth science concepts. Your dashboard will keep track of your progress throughout the chapter, and our instructors will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
1. Earth's Internal Layers: Crust, Mantle & Core
Earth is made up of several different layers, each with unique properties. In this video lesson, you will identify each layer of Earth and how it relates to Earth as a whole.
2. Shape of the Earth: Density, Stress & Gravity
This lesson will seek to explain geodesy and the Earth's shape. In doing so, it will highlight the concepts of gravity, density, and stress, as well as the role they play in the field of geodesy.
3. Geologic Features: Overview
Geologic features are all around us, on the earth's surface and beneath our feet, and they are part of the landscape. In this lesson, learn more about geologic features, and then test your knowledge with a quiz.
4. Earth's Magnetic Field: Formation, Changes & Impact
Earth has a magnetic field surrounding it. In this lesson, we will go through what creates it, how it changes, and what impact the change has on our planet.
5. What is Plate Tectonics? - Definition, Theory & Components
Imagine ice floating in a glass. Would you believe that we are all living on giant pieces of floating rock, just like the ice in that glass? This lesson explains that theory, an idea known as plate tectonics.
6. What is a Volcano? - Definition & Eruptions
Volcanoes are vents that allow lava, rock fragments and gases to escape from layers beneath the earth's surface. Learn how volcanoes form both on land and underwater and why they erupt.
7. What is an Earthquake? - Definition and Components
Earthquakes are well known for the damage and destruction they leave behind. But what is an earthquake? In this video lesson you will learn about what causes earthquakes and the various components involved in these powerful natural disasters.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Special Education Mathematics & Science (088): Practice & Study Guide course
- Working with Real Numbers
- Fractions, Decimals, Percents & Ratios
- Understanding Number Theory & Estimation
- Overview of Basic Algebra
- Patterns & Sequences in Algebra
- Characteristics & Relationships of Functions
- Solving Basic Geometric Problems
- Points, Lines, Rays & Angles
- Solving Angle Problems with Triangles & Quadrilaterals
- Geometric Relationships in the Coordinate Plane
- Solving Problems Involving Systems of Measurement
- Displaying & Interpreting Data
- Measures of Central Tendency
- Statistical Models & Processes
- Understanding Probability, Combinations & Permutations
- Scientific Inquiry & Design
- Nature of Scientific Knowledge
- Major Developments & Historical Figures in Science
- Collecting & Evaluating Scientific Data
- Science Laboratory & Field Equipment Safety
- Environmental Effects of Science & Technology
- Energy Production & Natural Resource Management
- Science & Technology in Consumer Products
- Atoms, Energy & Matter
- Concepts & Relationships Between Energy & Matter
- Basics of the Periodic Table
- Chemical Compounds & Reactions
- Acid-Base Chemistry
- Solutions & Solubility
- Concepts of Mechanics Overview
- Electricity & Magnetism Overview
- Waves & Optics Overview
- Structure & Function of Cells & Organelles
- Basic Biochemistry of Life
- Basic Genetics
- Evolution, Natural Selection & Biological Diversity
- Hierarchical Classification of Living Things
- Understanding Plant Structures & Function
- Animal & Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Population Dynamics & Ecology
- Rocks, Minerals & Soil Overview
- Historical Geology
- Understanding the Earth's Oceans
- Freshwater Characteristics & Processes
- Atmosphere & Weather
- Climate, Seasons & Geography
- Exploring Features of the Solar System
- Earth-Moon-Sun System
- GACE Special Education Mathematics & Science Flashcards