About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Eating Disorders and Nutrition chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Introduction to eating disorders||Definition and history of eating disorders|
|Tuesday||Anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa||Causes, symptoms, treatment and prognosis|
|Wednesday||Binge eating, night eating, female athlete triad||Definitions, causes, symptoms and treatments|
|Thursday||Causes of eating disorders||Discussion of risk factors, including cognitive, genetic, personality, neurobiological and sociocultural, along with social trends and media influences|
|Friday||Preventing eating disorders||Techniques for preventing eating disorders; early warning signs|
1. Binge Eating Disorder and Obesity: Definition, Discussion and Treatment
Binge-eating disorders are difficult to confront, but can be relatively easy to treat. This lesson explores some of the causes and issues related to binge-eating disorder, as well as to obesity in general.
2. Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD) & Eating Disorders: Definition & Types
Many of us have something about our appearance that we'd like to change, but for some people these desires can develop into actual disorders. How are body dysmorphic disorder and eating disorders related? This lesson gives you a closer look at these disorders and the impact they can have on people.
3. Female Athlete Triad: Definition & Treatment
For some female athletes, working out and dieting too hard can lead to health problems. Learn about the female athlete triad, a condition associated with disordered eating, amenorrhea and osteoporosis in active girls and women, in this lesson.
4. Night Eating Syndrome: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
We all enjoy an occasional midnight snack, but for someone suffering from night eating syndrome, late night eating happens on a regular basis and makes up 25% or more of their daily caloric intake. Learn about the causes, risks and treatments in this lesson.
5. Reducing Eating Disorder Development: Warning Signs & Prevention
Eating disorders are easier to prevent than to cure. Learn how to identify warning signs in the early stages to allow for early intervention and even the prevention of common eating disorders, like anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa, in this lesson.
6. What Causes Eating Disorders? - Risk Factors and Cultural Perspectives
This lesson takes a broad look at the causes of eating disorders. In addition, this lesson looks at what causes individuals to face higher or lower incidence rates of eating disorders.
7. What is Anorexia Nervosa? - Definition, Symptoms, Treatment and Prognosis
This lesson explores what anorexia nervosa is and why it is so dangerous. It covers common symptoms seen in children who may develop anorexia as well as what anorexia will do to those who suffer from it.
8. What is Bulimia Nervosa? - Definition, Symptoms, Treatment and Prognosis
This lesson explores bulimia as well as challenges many common misconceptions of bulimia. Specifically, this lesson describes the diagnostic requirements, the subtypes, and the treatments known to help with bulimia.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Nutrition 101 Curriculum Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Introduction to Nutrition Lesson Plans
- Healthy Diet Planning Lesson Plans
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition Lesson Plans
- Lipids in Nutrition: Lesson Plans
- Protein's Role in Nutrition: Lesson Plans
- Water as a Nutrient: Lesson Plans
- Minerals in Nutrition: Lesson Plans
- Symptoms of Mineral Deficiency & Toxicity: Lesson Plans
- How Vitamins Support Nutrition: Lesson Plans
- Gastrointestinal Anatomy and Digestion Lesson Plans
- Nutrient Digestion, Absorption & Transport: Lesson Plans
- Biochemistry for Nutrition Lesson Plans
- Cell Anatomy & Metabolism Lesson Plans
- Excretion - Urination & Sweat: Lesson Plans
- Weight Management & Energy Needs: Lesson Plans
- Physical Fitness & Nutrition: Lesson Plans