About This Chapter
Eating Disorders and Treatment- Chapter Summary
This chapter is intended to help you review what eating disorders are and how they are treated. You will study the different types of eating disorders there are and different treatments available. Every lesson in this chapter will detail a specific topic of study, including:
- Eating disorders and their potential causes
- Anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa
- Binge eating and obesity
- How to spot warning signs and prevent eating disorders
The video lessons are taught by knowledgeable instructors and the lessons are engaging and short. You can test yourself on how much you have learned by taking the lesson quizzes. These quizzes give you immediate feedback so you can find out quickly what you understand so far and what you still need to work on. You can then go back through the lesson to review your weak areas by using the timeline feature.
1. Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD) & Eating Disorders: Definition & Types
Many of us have something about our appearance that we'd like to change, but for some people these desires can develop into actual disorders. How are body dysmorphic disorder and eating disorders related? This lesson gives you a closer look at these disorders and the impact they can have on people.
2. What Causes Eating Disorders? - Risk Factors and Cultural Perspectives
This lesson takes a broad look at the causes of eating disorders. In addition, this lesson looks at what causes individuals to face higher or lower incidence rates of eating disorders.
3. What is Anorexia Nervosa? - Definition, Symptoms, Treatment and Prognosis
This lesson explores what anorexia nervosa is and why it is so dangerous. It covers common symptoms seen in children who may develop anorexia as well as what anorexia will do to those who suffer from it.
4. What is Bulimia Nervosa? - Definition, Symptoms, Treatment and Prognosis
This lesson explores bulimia as well as challenges many common misconceptions of bulimia. Specifically, this lesson describes the diagnostic requirements, the subtypes, and the treatments known to help with bulimia.
5. Binge Eating Disorder and Obesity: Definition, Discussion and Treatment
Binge-eating disorders are difficult to confront, but can be relatively easy to treat. This lesson explores some of the causes and issues related to binge-eating disorder, as well as to obesity in general.
6. Reducing Eating Disorder Development: Warning Signs & Prevention
Eating disorders are easier to prevent than to cure. Learn how to identify warning signs in the early stages to allow for early intervention and even the prevention of common eating disorders, like anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa, in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Health (023): Practice & Study Guide course
- Personal Health & Wellness
- Factors Influencing Health
- Disease & Illness
- Functional Properties of Nutrients
- Nutrition Basics
- How Vitamins Support Nutrition
- Nutritional Balance
- Physical Fitness & Nutrition
- Emotional & Mental Health Management
- Promoting Healthy Lifestyles: Stress Management
- Sexual & Reproductive Health
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Strategies for Injury Prevention
- Interpersonal Communication Techniques
- Discrimination, Aggression & Conflict
- Personal & Family Health Decisions
- Setting Health Goals
- Health Education Programs
- Influences on Health Information
- Academic Health Education Programs
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Health Flashcards