About This Chapter
Economic and Fiscal Policy - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Gain an understanding of economic and fiscal policy through a series of video lessons taught by knowledgeable instructors. From the establishment of regulatory policies to how they're utilized by the U.S. government in managing the economy, you'll get an overview that includes definitions and examples. By the end of this chapter, you should be able to:
- Discuss what regulatory and fiscal policies are
- Explain how the U.S. government uses these policies to benefit the national economy
- Describe the business cycle
- Describe the work of the Federal Reserve system
|Regulatory Policy: Definition, Processes & Examples||Discuss the goals and justifications of regulatory policy, as well as the process of policy development and potential political conflicts.|
|How the Government Protects the U.S. Economy||Describe how economic and regulatory policies are used as tools.|
|The Business Cycle: Economic Performance Over Time||Identify the parts of the business cycle, and evaluate its relationship to economic growth.|
|How the Government Promotes Economic Interests||Discuss how the government uses monetary and fiscal economic policies to support business, labor and agriculture.|
|What is Fiscal Policy?||Define fiscal policy, identify examples as used by the U.S. government, and rate its effectiveness.|
|Monetary Policy & The Federal Reserve System||Define monetary policy and its use, and describe the Federal Reserve system, pointing out how they work together.|
1. Regulatory Policy: Definition, Processes & Examples
The following lesson covers how the U.S. government uses its regulatory policy to oversee business activities. A short quiz will follow the lesson to check your understanding.
2. The Business Cycle: Economic Performance Over Time
Learn the economic terms that describe economic performance over time and how indicators such as unemployment and inflation behave throughout these economic fluctuations.
3. What is Fiscal Policy?
The following lesson will cover how the U.S. government uses fiscal policy to affect the economy. A short quiz will follow the lesson to check your understanding.
4. Monetary Policy & The Federal Reserve System
This lesson covers the Federal Reserve System's use of monetary policy to help promote the economy. A short quiz will follow the lesson to check your understanding.
5. How the Government Protects the U.S. Economy
The following lesson will cover the ways in which the government protects the U.S. economy and ensures stable economic growth. A short quiz will follow the lesson to check for your understanding.
6. How the Government Promotes Economic Interests
The following lesson will cover how the government promotes its economic interests through businesses, labor, and agriculture. There will be a short quiz following the lesson to check your understanding.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Political Science 102: American Government course
- Introduction to the Study of American Government
- Constitutional Democracy
- Federalism in the United States
- Interest Groups and American Democracy
- The Media and American Democracy
- The Federal Bureaucracy in the United States
- American Political Culture, Opinion, and Behavior
- Civil Liberties
- Civil Rights
- Political Parties in the United States Government
- The Presidency: Election, Powers, and Practice
- The Congress: Election, Powers, and Representation
- The Federal Judicial System
- Public, Social, and Environmental Policy
- Foreign and Defense Policy
- Studying for Political Science 102