About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other GMAT prep work.
- Identify the editing concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our GMAT prep tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn editing techniques and prepare for the exam. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding how to use rhetorical skills to improve writing, fix writing mistakes, proofread an essay, write strong transitions, choose words to set the tone or any other editing topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their learning
- Prefer a visual approach to learning how to edit their writing
- Find themselves struggling to prepare for the GMAT
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in preparing for the GMAT
- Don't have access to their GMAT prep instructor outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning how to edit simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live GMAT tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn how to edit on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Discover how to identify your audience and your purpose when writing.
- Study the rules for writing better essays by developing rhetorical skills.
- Correct writing mistakes and learn to edit for mechanics and content.
- Ensure correct grammar and spelling by proofreading.
- Create effective transition sentences.
- Explore the use of transition words and phrases in fiction and non-fiction.
- Discover the importance of word choice and language in essays.
1. Using Rhetorical Skills to Write Better Essays
In this video, you will explore the basics of identifying your purpose and audience and learn how to use effective rhetorical skills in your persuasive writing.
2. Writing Revision: How to Fix Mistakes in Your Writing
Writing is an important skill, but revising your writing is also. In this lesson, learn the basics of self-editing, including editing for content and for mechanics, such as grammar and misspellings.
3. How to Proofread an Essay for Spelling and Grammar
Proofreading is the last step in revising an essay - don't skip it! A single typo can sometimes ruin the hard work of an entire paper. This lesson will help you find the right proofreading strategy for you.
4. How to Write and Use Transition Sentences
Like a road map, transitions guide readers through your essay. This lesson examines the way writers transition between sentences, within paragraphs and between paragraphs to make for a smooth reading experience.
5. How to Write Strong Transitions and Transitional Sentences
Transitions are the words and sentences that tie a work of writing together. They guide the reader from idea to idea, making connections that turns pieces into a whole. Find out more in this lesson.
6. How Word Choice and Language Sets the Tone of Your Essay
In this video, we will discuss how word choice sets the tone for your essay. This includes letting the reader know if you are angry, happy or even attempting to refrain from bias. These tools bring your 'voice' into your writing.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GMAT Prep: Tutoring Solution course
- Basic Arithmetic Calculations: Tutoring Solution
- Rational Numbers: Tutoring Solution
- Decimals and Percents: Tutoring Solution
- Data & Statistics: Tutoring Solution
- Basic Algebraic Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- Exponents: Tutoring Solution
- Algebraic Linear Equations & Inequalities: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra - Absolute Value Equations & Inequalities: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra - Polynomials: Tutoring Solution
- Algebra - Rational Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- Perimeter, Area & Volume: Tutoring Solution
- Geometric Properties of Objects: Tutoring Solution
- Geometric Graphing Basics: Tutoring Solution
- Geometric Graphing Functions: Tutoring Solution
- Conventions in Writing - Grammar: Tutoring Solution
- Usage Conventions in Writing: Tutoring Solution
- Reading Comprehension for Test-Taking: Tutoring Solution
- Critical Reasoning for Test-Taking: Tutoring Solution
- Practical Applications for Test-Taking: Tutoring Solution
- Essay Writing Basics: Tutoring Solution
- Essay Clarity: Tutoring Solution
- Practicing Analytical Writing: Tutoring Solution