About This Chapter
Educational Resources for Teaching Math - Chapter Summary
This convenient online chapter allows you to review a variety of educational resources for math instruction. Our bite-sized lessons show you how to effectively select, use and adapt math resources in the classroom. You'll also take a look at fun math games and technologies. The chapter comes with lesson-specific quizzes and a comprehensive exam to help you reinforce your understanding of these math resource topics. You can work through the chapter at your own pace using any computer or mobile device. You can also submit questions to our instructors if you need any help with the chapter material. Reviewing these resources can help you:
- Select and adapt materials based on student needs
- Evaluate various instructional materials
- Assess the classroom applications of manipulatives
- Know how to effectively use technology and math technology in the classroom
- Use math word walls, math mnemonics and one-minute math drills
- Explain the functions of math learning centers
- Recognize great games for kids
- Apply math game apps to engage students
1. Manipulatives in Education: Definition, Examples & Classroom Applications
Find out what manipulatives are and how they're used in an educational setting. Learn how to apply manipulatives to lessons in your classroom. Read the lesson, then take a quiz to test your new knowledge.
2. Math Word Walls: Ideas & Vocabulary
Though vocabulary and mathematics may not seem to go together initially, a math word wall can be incredibly helpful for students just starting out with new math concepts. Check out this article for ideas for math word walls, along with suggested vocabulary.
3. Math Mnemonics: Strategies, Devices & Memory Tricks
Math is a subject that requires lots of equations and detailed processes to solve problems. We will go through the different types of mnemonics devices, strategies, and memory tricks that will help students remember formulas and processes.
4. One-Minute Math Drills
Sometimes you only have a minute. Try some of these quick, one minute math drills, to help your students improve their memory, math accuracy, and speed.
5. What are Math Learning Centers?
This lesson is designed to explain what math learning centers are. This lesson will also discuss when to use math learning centers as well as introduce different types of math learning centers.
6. Best Math Games for Kids
Get help finding the best math games for your classroom with this article. Learn more about how to determine if a game is right for your students. You'll also find some examples of possible games you can use.
7. Math Technology in the Classroom
Teachers use lots of tools to keep students engaged and active learners. Math class is no exception, and technology is a great way to hook learners. This lesson examines how math technology can be used in pre-K through 12 classrooms.
8. Using Visuals to Solve a Math Problem
Teaching students to problem solve is one of the most important things you can do for them as a math teacher. This lesson focuses on the significance of visuals in reasoning through mathematical problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Education 211: Teaching Elementary Math course
- Understanding Math Standards
- Developing Math Curriculum
- Planning Math Instruction
- Instructional Strategies for Math Teachers
- Creating Math Learning Environments
- Assessments for Teaching Math
- Counting & Cardinality in the Classroom
- Teaching Mathematical Operations
- Algebraic Thinking in the Classroom
- Teaching Base 10 & Fractions
- Teaching Standard & Metric Measurements
- Teaching Time & Money
- Teaching Geometry Basics
- Geometric Measurements in the Classroom
- Teaching the Coordinate Plane
- Teaching Graphical Data Identification