About This Chapter
Effect of Globalization on Organizations - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
The world is shrinking and businesses are more global than ever. The lessons in this chapter address the effect of globalization on organizations. Each lesson is brief, with a multiple-choice quiz to take at the end for self-assessment. In the video lessons, it is easy to use the handy video timeline tool to replay any portion of the lesson. Text lessons have key vocabulary designated in bold type. When done with this chapter, you will know:
- Globalization and its effects on organizational behavior and structure
- The meaning of job satisfaction in foreign countries
- How teams differ in a global setting
- Group status, social loafing and diversity with global groups
- Human resource interactions and staffing approaches with global operations
- The benefits of diversity training in globalized business and socializing new hires
- Global workforce planning and development
|Globalization and Organizational Behavior||Examine how organizational behavior is impacted by globalization.|
|Globalization and Organizational Structure||Look at the influence of globalization on the structure of organizations.|
|Job Satisfaction in Foreign Countries||Get to know how job satisfaction in foreign countries differs from the U.S.|
|How Teams Differ in a Global Setting||Discover how teaming varies depending on where you are in the world.|
|Group Status, Social Loafing & Diversity in Global Groups||Explore how group status differs by culture.|
|Human Resource Interactions with Host, Parent & Third-Country Nationals||Look at how HR professionals deal with employees around the world.|
|Global Staffing Approaches: Ethnocentric, Regiocentric, Polycentric, and Geocentric||Evaluate various approaches that deal with staffing a global operation.|
|Benefits of Diversity Training in Globalized Business||Explore why diversity training is of value to a global business.|
|Company Processes for Socializing New Hires||Get to know ways to socialize new hires.|
|Global Workforce Planning & Development||Develop an understanding of planning for and building a global workforce.|
1. Globalization and Organizational Behavior
As the world around us gets smaller, globalization will be in more areas and impact organizations. Organizational behavior is impacted by globalization and in this lesson we will discuss that aspect.
2. Globalization and Organizational Structure
Organizational structure can be influenced by many different aspects of globalization. In this lesson, we will explore organizational structure and the impact globalization can have on it.
3. Globalization and Organizational Culture
Culture influences almost every aspect of an organization. Globalization is one of the forces that influences organizational culture, and in this lesson we will talk about just how globalization impacts organizational culture.
4. Job Satisfaction in Foreign Countries
Many of us strive for job satisfaction, the feeling we like our jobs and contribute to the company by doing them. Job satisfaction is important around the world, but it has nuances not present in the U.S. We will discuss this issue in this lesson.
5. How Teams Differ in a Global Setting
Different cultures view teams, or teaming, very differently. Those perspectives are compounded when there are multicultural teams present. This lesson will look at this issue in more detail.
6. Group Status, Social Loafing & Diversity in Global Groups
Group status changes depending on culture, and as groups become more diverse, different perspectives and opinions will arise. In this lesson, we will address the issues of culture as it relates to group status, social loafing, and diversity.
7. Human Resource Interactions with Host, Parent & Third-Country Nationals
Employee relations are guided by human resource (HR) management professionals, and the global environment makes doing this more complex. In this lesson, we'll see how HR professionals interact with employees across the globe.
8. Global Staffing Approaches: Ethnocentric, Regiocentric, Polycentric, and Geocentric
Human resource management professionals working for global organizations often have unique staffing choices. In this lesson, you'll learn about ethnocentric staffing, regiocentric staffing and geocentric staffing. A short quiz follows.
9. Expatriate Staffing: Personal Impact, Repatriation & Compensation Considerations
Employees that work for global companies may end up working abroad for a period of time. In this lesson, you'll learn about expatriate staffing, including its personal impact on employees, compensation considerations and repatriation.
10. Benefits of Diversity Training in Globalized Business
Organizations are currently more focused on training their staff to understand diversity. In this lesson, we will look at diversity training in global organizations.
11. Company Processes for Socializing New Hires
The socialization process in organizations helps new employees adapt to their work and organization more successfully. Read on to learn more about company processes for socializing new hires.
12. Global Workforce Planning & Development
This lesson looks at how a company uses global workforce planning and development to transition into an international company. To go global, a company needs to invest in language fundamentals, cultural awareness, and expatriate skills.
13. Business Case Study: Build-A-Bear's Mentoring Program
Build-A-Bear Workshop (BBW) is a global company that has been named one of the 50 best places to work. One of the reasons for the high ranking is BBW's mentoring program. This lesson looks at the program established by BBW's founder Maxine Clark.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 308: Globalization & International Management course
- Global Business Environments
- Global Leadership & Management
- Virtual Teams & Project Management
- Global Trade & Business Law
- Global Business, Government & Society
- Foreign Exchange Market & Purchasing Power
- Global Marketing Basics
- Crisis Management and International Business
- Culture & Ethics in International Business
- Social Responsibility in Corporations
- Changes in the Global Marketplace
- Required Assignments for Business 308
- Studying for Business 308