About This Chapter
Effects of Aging on Skin & Body Build - Chapter Summary
Aging impacts our bodies in a wide variety of ways. These lessons go through an overview of the many ways in which aging causes changes to the skin and build of the human body.
No matter what your study schedule may be, we have the tools to accommodate your needs. We divide this chapter up into small, short lessons. Each focuses on one key topic, and it usually takes less than 10 minutes to complete a single lesson. That means you can fit these lessons into the breaks throughout your day. We also keep all of our study materials and tools online, giving you around-the-clock access. With a wi-fi connection, you can take our study materials with you in your phone, tablet, laptop, or other device. As you review this chapter, you will build up your skills and be able to do the following:
- Figure out how aging changes the voice, skin, and hair
- Inspect age-related changes to the build of the body
- Apply the influence of age to aspects of mobility
- Map out the physical changes of aging related to self-concept
- Describe sleep patterns and physical appearance during late adulthood
1. How Hair, Skin & Voice Change with Age
In this lesson, we will explore the obvious changes to our body as we age: hair, skin and voice. We will examine common causes as well as what to expect around certain ages.
2. How Body Build Changes with Age
Watch this lesson for a brief discussion of the physical and mechanical changes that occur to the human body and its systems as we age. Some of the body systems covered include skeletal, muscular, organ, and nervous systems.
3. The Impact of Age on Mobility: Examples & Overview
This lesson examines the physical changes that occur to the mechanical body as we age. Specific regards are given to what decreases mobility, and why.
4. How Self-Concept is Affected by Physical Changes of Aging
Here we will explore how the changes that occur with older age, including skin, muscle and neurological, will change the self-concept and locus of control for individuals.
5. Physical Appearance and Sleep Patterns in Late Adulthood
As people age, they experience many changes in their bodies. In this lesson, we'll examine some of the changes in physical appearance that happen in older adulthood, as well as how people's sleeping habits change in late life.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Psychology 108: Psychology of Adulthood and Aging course
- Introduction to Adult Development and Aging
- Personality & Aging
- Health of the Aging Population
- The Aging Brain and Nervous System
- Effects of Aging on the Sensory System
- Effects of Aging on the Circulatory and Respiratory Systems
- The Aging Endocrine and Reproductive Systems
- Chronic Conditions of the Aging Population
- Changes to Memory & Attention with Age
- Cognitive Development & Aging
- Overview of Intelligence, Wisdom & Creativity
- Mental Health and Lifespan Development Disorders
- Cognitive, Behavioral & Psychological Assessments
- Age-Related Anxiety Disorders
- Substance Abuse Among Aging Populations
- Cognitive Disorders Related to Aging
- Mood & Stress Disorders Affecting the Aging Population
- Treatment Methods for Psychological Disorders in Adults
- Relationships in Adulthood
- Career Changes Over the Lifespan
- Retirement and Leisure in Adulthood
- Overview of Death, Dying & Bereavement
- Studying for Psychology 108