About This Chapter
Effects of Sleep on Health - Chapter Summary
Who said studying had to be boring? This chapter will enable you to brush up on your knowledge of sleep-wake patterns, physical appearance and the patterns of sleep, summary of the sleep cycle, and the list goes on! You can watch video and text lessons that will help you remember the concepts you need to know. Afterwards, check your knowledge by answering some quick multiple-choice questions on our short quizzes. Additional subjects included in this chapter are:
- Effects of sleep on chronic conditions
- Summary of the sleep cycle
- Reason why we dream
- Sleep-wake patterns
- Suggested amount of sleep based on age
- Physical appearance and the patterns of sleep
Go back to previous subjects within the lessons by using the video tags. This way, you don't have to keep re-watching the videos in their entirety. Our lesson transcripts will give you deeper views into the lessons by highlighting vocabulary words and summaries.
1. How Sleep Affects Health and Chronic Conditions
This lesson explores the effects of missing out on sleep. We examine the general issues that happen when a person misses out on sleep, as well as how sleep debt can compound chronic health conditions.
2. What is the Sleep Cycle? - Definition, Stages & Disorders
What happens when you sleep? Why are dreams typically more intense as morning approaches? This lesson will guide you through the stages of the sleep cycle that make up a full night's rest.
3. Why Do We Sleep and Dream?
The exact functions of sleeping and dreaming are unknown, but psychologists have attempted to interpret what happens and why when we sleep. In this lesson, you'll explore the importance of sleep and some of the more famous theories regarding why we dream.
4. Sleep-Wake Patterns in the First Two Years
As every new parent knows, babies sleep differently than adults do. In this lesson, we'll look at two key changes in sleep patterns that develop in the first two years of life, the volume and type of sleep.
5. Recommended Amount of Sleep by Age
How much sleep should you be getting? What about your children or even your aging parents? This lesson goes over the recommended amount of sleeps for many age groups as well as items that can increase your sleep needs.
6. Physical Appearance and Sleep Patterns in Late Adulthood
As people age, they experience many changes in their bodies. In this lesson, we'll examine some of the changes in physical appearance that happen in older adulthood, as well as how people's sleeping habits change in late life.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PLACE Health: Practice & Study Guide course
- Human Growth & Development
- Infant Growth & Development
- Childhood Growth & Development
- Adolescence Growth & Development
- Growth & Development in Adulthood
- Human Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- Mendelian Genetics & Mechanisms of Heredity
- Health of the Aging Population
- Dying and Bereavement in Older Adults
- Understanding the Disease Process
- Pathogens & the Immune System
- Nutritional Health & Diet Planning
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition
- Lipids in Nutrition
- Protein's Role in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals in Nutrition
- Symptoms of Mineral Deficiency & Toxicity
- How Vitamins Support Nutrition
- Eating Disorders & Treatments
- Weight Management & Energy Needs
- Understanding Dental Health
- Physical Fitness & Nutrition
- Health & Wellness Basics
- Emotional and Mental Health
- Making Health Decisions
- Addictive Behaviors and Drug Use
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Family Systems & Healthy Behavior
- Contraception and Family Planning
- Managing Family & Peer Relationships
- Sexuality & Health
- Media & Advertising of Health Information
- Community & Public Health
- Child Abuse & Abduction
- Sexual Harassment & Violence
- Environmental Risk Analysis
- Environmental Pollution & Health Concerns
- Personal Safety Precautions
- PLACE Health Flashcards