About This Chapter
ELAR Instruction in Texas - Chapter Summary
In Texas, school instruction centers around a set of standards known as Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS). These standards apply to English language classrooms. This chapter explains several ways of implementing the Texas curriculum for students. After you have studied this chapter, you should know about:
- TEKS instructional goals and objectives
- The TEKS standards for reading, writing, and writing conventions
- TEKS visual media standards and research standards
- Texas English language proficiency standards
The lessons in this chapter are created by expert instructors who explain these ELAR standards using concrete examples from the classroom. The lessons are available online 24/7 so you can study according to your own schedule, and each lesson has a short quiz so you can check your understanding. If you have any questions along the way, make sure to reach out through the Dashboard.
1. Instructional Goals & Objectives for TEKS
If you are teaching to any set of standards, figuring out how to set instructional goals and objectives can make a big difference. This lesson explains how objectives and goals might work in relation to TEKS.
2. Teaching & Assessing TEKS Reading Standards
In this lesson, learn how assessment in strands, content, and performance standards help measure a student's progress using the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills for English Language Arts/Reading.
3. TEKS Standards: Writing, Oral & Written Conventions
In this lesson, we will explore the TEKS standards for writing and oral and written language for elementary and middle school students and how to provide ongoing assessments in these areas to determine when interventions are necessary.
4. Implementing TEKS Visual Media Standards in Class
In this lesson, we will discuss the reading/media literacy standards of the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills as related to elementary and middle school students, including grade-level expectations.
5. Teaching to TEKS Research Standards in the Classroom
In this lesson, we will discuss what the Texas Education Agency expects of students grades three through eight. We will also look into the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills and breakdown the assessments created by the TEA to analyze student achievement.
6. Understanding Texas English Language Proficiency Standards
When you learn a language, there are four skills you need to acquire: speaking, listening, reading, and writing. This lesson explains the expectations for each skill according to the 'Texas English Language Proficiency Standards'.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Core Subjects EC-6 - English Language Arts and Reading & the Science of Teaching Reading (801): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the TExES Core Subjects EC-6 Exam
- Skills & Techniques for Children's Linguistic Development
- Teaching Speaking & Listening Skills to Children
- The Development of Phonological & Phonemic Awareness
- Teaching the Alphabet
- Print Awareness & Literacy Development
- Word Identification & Decoding Reading Strategies
- Developing Reading Fluency in Children
- Reading Comprehension Development & Instruction
- Creating Reading Strategies for Students
- Teaching Children's Literature
- Vocabulary Instruction & Assessment
- Research Skills & Critical Thinking for Elementary Students
- English Writing Conventions for Elementary School
- Writing Instruction & Development for Elementary School
- Assessing & Developing Writing Skills
- Parental Support in Developing Literacy Skills
- Understand the Science of Teaching Reading Standards
- TExES Core Subjects EC-6: ELA & Reading Flashcards