About This Chapter
Electric Currents and Power - Chapter Summary
In this chapter on electric power and currents, our instructors cover topics such as the causes of static electricity, the types of electric currents and the qualities of insulators and conductors. You'll also review Ohm's law and its relationship to current, resistance and voltage. A discussion of electric power is presented as well as a review of electric circuits, including their components and the different types of circuits. After completing these lessons, you should know how to:
- Explain real-world situations that involve static electricity
- Point out what electrical current is and how it flows
- Discuss materials that conduct electricity
- Describe how voltage, current and resistance are related
- Detail how electric circuits are configured
- Differentiate between two types of voltaic cells
If you have questions as you work through these lessons, contact one of our instructors for assistance. Use the quizzes and chapter tests as a way to measure how well you've understood the material. If you would like to watch just part of a video lesson, use the video tabs feature in the Timeline to jump to the section you want to review. Our mobile-friendly lessons and quizzes are accessible to you 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
1. What is Static Electricity? - Definition, Causes & Uses
In this lesson you will learn what static electricity is, what causes it, and what conditions prevent static electricity from occurring. You'll also see some fun and interesting real world situations and applications that involve static electricity.
2. What is Electric Current? - Definition, Unit & Types
Like a river current is the flow of water molecules, electrical current is the flow of charged particles. In this lesson, we're going to explore what electrical current is, what causes it, and that, unlike a water current, electrical current doesn't always flow in one direction.
3. Insulators and Conductors: Examples, Definitions & Qualities
In this lesson, we'll explore the reasons that some materials conduct electrical energy with ease while others block it almost completely. We'll also talk about the property of conductivity and some everyday examples of insulators and conductors.
4. Ohm's Law: Definition & Relationship Between Voltage, Current & Resistance
Did you know that electrical current is affected by the voltage and resistance in a circuit? In this lesson, we'll use Ohm's law, which tells us how current, voltage, and resistance are related, as we work through several electric circuit examples.
5. Electric Circuit Fundamentals: Components & Types
Electric circuits can be configured to power several loads, such as light bulbs, in series or in parallel. In this lesson, we'll look at both types of circuits and see how the voltage, current, and resistance are affected by installing additional loads.
6. What is Electric Power?
Power is a word we use all the time, but do you really know what it means? We'll look at how electrical power relates to voltage, current and resistance and how knowing that relationship can help you in everyday life.
7. Types of Voltaic Cells: Batteries vs. Fuel Cells
After completing this lesson, you will be able to explain what a voltaic cell is, and distinguish between two types of voltaic cells: batteries and fuel cells. A short quiz will follow.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NDA Exam Preparation & Study Guide course
- About the NDA Exam
- Algebra Concepts
- Advanced Algebra Concepts
- Solving Matrices & Determinants
- Trigonometry Concepts
- Geometry & Linear Equations
- Analytic Geometry
- Functions, Limits & Continuity
- Derivative Rules
- Calculations & Applications of Derivatives
- Integral Calculus
- Differential Equations & Applications
- Scalars & Vectors in Algebra
- Visualizing Statistics
- Probability Concepts in Math
- Grammar and Usage
- Improving Reading Comprehension
- Measurements in Physics
- Motion in Physics
- Basics of Work, Power & Energy
- Understanding Heat Transfer
- Sound Waves
- Light, Mirrors & Lenses
- Scientific Technology, Machines & Tools
- The Atom & Structure of Elements
- Chemical Properties of Elements & Substances
- Chemical Symbols, Formulas & Reactions
- Qualities of Living Organisms
- Health Science Basics
- Solar System & Eclipses
- Achievements of Famous Scientists
- Indian History
- Overview of Major World History Events
- World Government Types
- The Earth
- Earth's Oceans, Atmosphere & Climate
- Regional Geography of South Asia
- Modern Day Events in India
- NDA Exam Preparation & Study Guide Flashcards