About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other high school physics work.
- Identify the electrical forces and fields concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our high school physics tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about electrical forces and fields and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding electric charge and force, electric force fields, Coulomb's Law, insulators and conductors, Gauss's Law or any other electrical forces and fields topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their physics learning
- Prefer learning physics visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their electrical forces and fields unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in high school physics
- Don't have access to their physics teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about electrical forces and fields simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live physics tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about electrical forces and fields on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Discuss force and electrical charge.
- Understand electric force fields.
- Explain Coulomb's law and its importance.
- Recognize the characteristics of insulators and conductors.
- Provide examples of Gauss's law.
1. Electric Charge and Force: Definition, Repulsion & Attraction
Have you ever wondered what electricity is and where it comes from? Have you ever been zapped by static electricity and wondered how it got there? We'll answer all of these questions in this lesson on electric charge and force!
2. Electric Force Fields and the Significance of Arrow Direction & Spacing
Did you know that force fields don't just exist in science fiction movies? In this lesson, we'll explore the electric force fields that surround charged particles and how we can draw diagrams that represent them.
3. Coulomb's Law: Variables Affecting the Force Between Two Charged Particles
In the 18th century, Charles Coulomb uncovered the secrets of electrostatic force between charged particles. The results of his experiments led to what is now known as Coulomb's Law, which tells us how force, charge, and distance are all related.
4. Insulators and Conductors: Examples, Definitions & Qualities
In this lesson, we'll explore the reasons that some materials conduct electrical energy with ease while others block it almost completely. We'll also talk about the property of conductivity and some everyday examples of insulators and conductors.
5. Gauss' Law: Definition & Examples
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what Gauss' Law is, derive Gauss' Law for a sphere and cylinder, and use it to solve problems. A short quiz will follow.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Physics: Tutoring Solution course
- Introduction to Physics: Tutoring Solution
- Vectors in Physics: Tutoring Solution
- Kinematics in Physics: Tutoring Solution
- Newton's Laws in Physics: Tutoring Solution
- Work, Energy, & Power in Physics: Tutoring Solution
- Linear Momentum in Physics: Tutoring Solution
- Rotational Motion in Physics: Tutoring Solution
- Circular Motion and Gravitation in Physics: Tutoring Solution
- Oscillations in Physics: Tutoring Solution
- Potential and Capacitance in Physics: Tutoring Solution
- Direct Current Circuits in Physics: Tutoring Solution
- Magnetism in Physics: Tutoring Solution
- Waves, Sound, and Light: Tutoring Solution
- Atomic and Nuclear Physics: Tutoring Solution
- Fluid Mechanics in Physics: Tutoring Solution
- Thermal Physics & Thermodynamics: Tutoring Solution
- Relativity & Quantum Theory in Modern Physics: Tutoring Solution
- The Universe: Tutoring Solution
- Physics Lab - Motion: Tutoring Solution
- Physics Lab - Matter & Light: Tutoring Solution
- Physics Lab - Electricity: Tutoring Solution