About This Chapter
Electrolyte, Water & pH Balance in the Body - Chapter Summary
Our chapter on pH, electrolyte and water balance in the body can assist you as you study these subjects in depth. Just a few of the topics covered here include electrolyte imbalance, hyperhydration and the dietary factors that lead to pH balance. The lessons are all accompanied by multiple-choice quizzes to aid in identifying any subjects that need more review. At the end of the chapter, you'll find a comprehensive chapter exam that makes a handy test prep tool. If you need any help along the way, reach out to one of our experts using the Dashboard. After completing this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Detail electrolyte imbalance and regulation in the body
- Differentiate between dehydration and hyperhydration
- Identify pH imbalance and regulation
1. Water Balance in the Body: Regulation, Dehydration & Hyperhydration
This lesson will explore the importance of water balance in the human body, where a majority of water is stored, how fluid levels are controlled, and its impact from over or under consumption on organ function.
2. pH Balance in the Body: Regulation, Dietary Factors & Imbalance
In this lesson, we will consider how the body exhibits tight control of pH in the body. We will discuss the role of diet, the lungs, and kidneys in helping to maintain a relatively neutral pH. Lastly, we will study disorders that disrupt normal pH.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Biology 202L: Anatomy & Physiology II with Lab course
- Accessory Organs of the Gastrointestinal System
- Anatomy & Physiology of the Urinary System
- Human Development, Growth & Aging
- Nutrition & Metabolism in the Human Body
- Overview of Blood & the Cardiovascular System
- Sexual Reproduction & the Reproductive System
- The Gastrointestinal System & Digestion
- The Heart & the Cardiovascular System
- The Lymphatic System, Immunity & Disease
- The Respiratory System & Process
- Vessels & Circulation in The Cardiovascular System