About This Chapter
Electromagnetic Waves- Chapter Summary
Videos in this chapter simplify the process of studying electromagnetic waves. Developed by expert instructors, these lessons take an in-depth look at gamma rays, ultraviolet light, infrared waves and more! Complete this chapter at your own pace. When finished, you will be ready to:
- List and discuss the properties of electromagnetic waves
- Identify and describe the technological applications of electromagnetic waves
- Define x-rays and gamma rays, and discuss their uses
- Share the definition and uses of infrared waves
- Discuss the wavelengths and colors of the visible spectrum
- Describe the wavelength and uses of ultraviolet light
- Explain the uses and effects of ultraviolet radiation
Watch videos or access accompanying transcripts of the lessons to review electromagnetic wave concepts in the format you prefer. With each lesson is a short quiz designed to assess your comprehension of concepts covered. If you have any questions about lesson topics, be sure to submit them to our experts using the Dashboard. Feel confident that you understand this entire chapter by taking the practice chapter exam.
1. Electromagnetic Waves: Definition, Sources & Properties
In this lesson, learn the basics of electromagnetic waves and how they make up the electromagnetic spectrum. We will explore the major trends and categories within the spectrum, as well as the various sources of electromagnetic waves.
2. Technological Applications of Electromagnetic Waves
After completing this lesson, you will be able to explain what electromagnetic waves are and provide some applications of each type of electromagnetic wave. To see just how much you have learned, take the short quiz at the end of the lesson!
3. What Are X-rays? - Definition & Uses
This lesson describes X-rays and their many uses, from looking at broken bones to analyzing the rocks on Mars. Learn how X-rays are part of the larger electromagnetic spectrum, which ranges from radio waves to powerful gamma rays.
4. What Are Gamma Rays? - Definition & Examples
Explore gamma rays and where they fit in relationship to other forms of electromagnetic energy, such as radio waves and x-rays. Learn what events and celestial bodies produce gamma rays, from nuclear explosions to supernovas.
5. Infrared Waves: Definition, Uses & Examples
This lesson will explain what infrared waves are, discuss a number of examples of infrared waves, and describe how we as humans use them. A short quiz will follow.
6. Visible Spectrum: Definition, Wavelengths & Colors
Have you seen the visible spectrum today? You most likely have and may not be aware of it. This lesson tells you what the visible spectrum is, its wavelengths, and its colors.
7. What is Ultraviolet Light? - Definition, Wavelength & Uses
Ultraviolet light is invisible to the human eye but is very important for life. In this lesson, we'll learn where UV light comes from, how it affects living things, and how it is used in many other applications.
8. What is Ultraviolet Radiation? - Definition, Uses & Effects
In this lesson you will learn what ultraviolet radiation is, how it is used, and its effects on humans, both positive and negative. A short quiz will follow.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the National Eligibility Test (AIPMT): Study Guide course
- Types of Scientific Measurement
- Working with Vectors
- Kinematics Overview
- Laws of Motion Overview
- Understanding Work, Energy and Power
- Systems of Particles and Rigid Body Dynamics
- Orbital Mechanics
- Properties of Bulk Matter
- Perfect Gases and Kinetic Theory
- Oscillations & Waves
- Introduction to Electrostatics
- Physics of Electrical Circuits
- Electronic Components
- Magnetic Fields & Forces Overview
- Electromagnetic Induction & Alternating Currents
- Optics & Light
- Atoms, Isotopes & Radiation
- Foundations of Chemistry & Organic Chemistry
- Atomic Structure & Properties of Elements
- Molecular Structure & Chemical Bonds
- Properties of Gases and Liquids
- Thermodynamics Overview
- Equilibrium & Reactions
- Properties of Alkali & Alkaline Earth Metals
- Properties of p-Block Elements
- Hydrogen & Hydrocarbons
- Pollution & Environmental Hazards
- Solids & Solutions
- Electrochemistry, Surface Chemistry & Chemical Kinetics
- Properties of Periodic Table Groups
- Compounds & Chemical Reactions
- Biomolecules & Polymers
- Chemicals in Everyday Life
- Diversity & Classifications in Biology
- Biology of the Cell
- Basic Plant Physiology
- Basic Human Physiology
- Functions & Processes in Reproduction
- Genetics & Evolution
- Human Welfare & Diseases
- Applications of Biotechnology
- National Eligibility Test (AIPMT) Flashcards