About This Chapter
Electronic Health Records & Evidence-Based Practices - Chapter Summary
This chapter's engaging lessons examine different types of electronic health records as well as the characteristics of evidence-based medicine. You'll see why electronic health records benefit this type of medicine, and why doctors use computerized order entries. Use any computer or mobile device to access the chapter, and be sure to take the accompanying self-assessment quizzes to solidify your comprehension of the material. Our expert health care instructors are available to answer any questions you may have. By the end of the chapter, you should be equipped to:
- Compare different types of electronic health records
- Describe the benefits of electronic health records
- Evaluate examples of computerized physician order entries
- Recognize the components of evidence-based medicine
- Assess the relationship between evidence-based medicine and electronic health records
1. Electronic Health Records: Types & Components
In today's health care system, patients' medical records are undergoing a rapid change from paper to electronic. This lesson discusses the types of electronic records in use and components of these records that can advance health care.
2. Advantages of Using Electronic Health Care Records
Electronic healthcare records, also known as electronic medical records, are central data repositories for healthcare information. Read this lesson to learn how electronic records benefit both patients, as well as their healthcare providers.
3. Computerized Physician Order Entry: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, the process of Computerized Physician Order Entry (CPOE) is defined as well as its advantages over paper and handwritten documents. Examples of the types of orders entered by CPOE are also discussed.
4. Evidence-Based Medicine: Definition & Components
What is evidence-based medicine (EBM) and how does it improve patient outcomes? In this lesson, we will define EBM according to Sackett, including its three major components: expertise, research, and patient values.
5. Electronic Health Records & Evidence-Based Medicine
Evidence-based medicine is the framework for making decisions in healthcare every day. This lesson will explain the foundation of evidence-based medicine, the electronic health record, and some of their practical uses.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 309: Healthcare Informatics course
- Introduction to Health Care Informatics
- Using Data & Databases in Health Care Informatics
- Best Practices in Information Technology
- Project Development
- Consumer Informatics
- TeleHealth Overview
- Health Care Professionals & Technology Evaluation
- Trends in Health Care Informatics
- Required Assignments for Health 309