About This Chapter
Electronic Research Tools & Information Literacy - Chapter Summary
You can learn about how electronic research tools are used with this chapter. These lessons will help you understand the importance of information literacy. As you work through this chapter you'll study:
- Search engines
- Electronic reference sources and databases
- Tips for researching, downloading, storing and printing online information
- Steps to asses if a source is reliable, credible and worthy
Each lesson in this chapter is supported by a self-assessment quiz that will determine if you understand the process of researching electronically. You can return to the lessons at any time if you need further instruction. Our research experts are also available to answer particularly difficult questions you might have.
1. Using Search Engines for Online Research
The Internet can be a resource that saves you time, but if you don't know how to use it properly, it can be a frustrating experience. In this lesson, you will learn about how to properly find supporting materials online with research tips and tricks.
2. Finding Reliable Electronic Reference Sources & Databases
Did you know that there are over a billion websites? Many of them have inaccurate or incomplete information. In this lesson, you will learn how to find solid information for your research online.
3. Internet Research: Tools & Tips
Did you know that with a few keystrokes you can easily narrow your Internet searches? In this lesson, you'll learn some simple but effective ways to target your search results. We'll also talk about how you can access the invisible web.
4. How to Download, Store & Print Online Information
Have you ever heard the excuse, 'The dog ate my homework'? With technology, it is easier than ever to misplace a file or a message. In this lesson, you will learn some pointers about downloading, storing, and printing information.
5. Evaluating Sources for Reliability, Credibility, and Worth
It's important to have information that is reliable, credible, and worthwhile in your speech. Sometimes, it's hard to determine these factors. This lesson will help you!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Computer/Technology (Subtests I & II)(016/017): Practice & Study Guide course
- Hardware & Systems Technology Basics
- Systems Software & Management
- Computer Data & Storage
- Computer & Peripheral Device Troubleshooting
- Acceptable Use Policies & Legal Issues
- Digital Security & Safety Issues at School
- Database Management
- Communicating with Software & Media
- Using Collaborative Online Tools to Communicate
- Using Technology to Improve Teaching & Learning
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Computer/Technology Flashcards