About This Chapter
Elementary ELA: Reading Foundational Skills - Chapter Summary
The main focus of this chapter is to discuss teaching strategies in areas of phonics, phonological awareness, text selection and reading fluency. You can review helpful activities and instructional practices that are effective in these and other areas of reading. In addition, you can explore word choice in vocabulary development, strategies for recognizing sight words and ways to determine the meanings of words. After you complete this chapter, you will be able to:
- Define and discuss print awareness
- Apply instructional strategies in phonological awareness, phonics, syllabication and word breaks
- Name and understand the use of tools for teaching vocabulary
- Identify high frequency words
- Describe the use of structural analysis to determine word meaning
- Assess studies on morphology
- Use activities to promote reading fluency
- Discuss choral reading, repeated reading and assisted reading activities
Each lesson is accessible 24/7 from any device and is presented in either video or text format. Lesson transcripts are printable, so you can easily create quick reference materials. Experts can be reached via an online contact form if you have any questions about these lessons. Take the self-assessment quizzes and chapter exam to measure what you've retained and see whether you need to continue your review of any topic.
1. Development of Print Awareness & Concepts
One of the very first steps in the reading process is print awareness. This lesson defines print awareness and gives some hints on how to use lap reading to develop an understanding of print directionality, spacing, and the alphabetic principle.
2. Instructional Strategies for Phonological Awareness
Phonological awareness is an important skill to learn young. This lesson will define this skill and show how to apply instructional strategies. We'll also highlight a few assessment techniques for phonological awareness skills.
3. Teaching Strategies for Phonics & Sight Words
Learning about phonics is a crucial aspect of learning to read and write. This lesson offers concrete strategies for teaching phonics and sight words.
4. Teaching Syllabication & Word Breaks
Learning how to break words up into syllables is a helpful part of spelling and decoding. This lesson gives you some ideas about how to teach syllabication and word breaks.
5. Vocabulary Strategies: Word Analysis, Word Choice & Exposure
The days of pulling words from a vocabulary workbook are over. In this lesson we will identify and distinguish between the strategies of word analysis, author's word choice, and multiple exposures as tools for teaching vocabulary.
6. Familiarizing Students with High Frequency Words
Watch this video lesson to learn what you as an educator can do to help students learn to read with confidence. Learn why learning the high frequency words is beneficial, if not crucial, to becoming a competent reader.
7. Using Structural Analysis to Determine the Meaning of Words
Discover the importance of using structural analysis to understand unfamiliar words. In this lesson, we'll discuss how to divide unknown words into known pieces to comprehend their overall meanings.
8. Morphology of English: Definition & Studies
Morphology is the study of parts of language and how we use these parts to form words. In this lesson you'll find out the building blocks of language and how to use these blocks to construct words and deconstruct sentences. A short quiz follows.
9. Selecting Texts for Reading Comprehension
In this lesson, we'll go over strategies for selecting texts for your students. We'll cover pre-reading strategies, as well as during-reading strategies and post-reading activities that can help reinforce reading comprehension.
10. Activities that Promote Reading Fluency
Learning to read can be a fun and exciting experience for young students. Providing activities that promote reading fluency helps to improve a child's skill.
11. Choral Reading, Repeated Reading & Assisted Reading: Definition & Activities
Hearing what you're reading and reading can help readers build fluency and accuracy in their reading. In this lesson, we'll look at three audio reading activities for classroom use: choral reading, repeated reading, and audio-assisted reading.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Elementary Education - Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment (5017): Study Guide & Practice course
- Elementary ELA: Curriculum Concepts
- Elementary ELA: Reading Comprehension
- Elementary ELA: Text Analysis
- Elementary ELA: Resource Selection & Classroom Management
- Elementary ELA: Writing Skills
- Elementary ELA: Language Structure, Meaning & Figurative Interpretation
- Elementary ELA: Speaking & Listening Skills
- Elementary Math: Curriculum Concepts
- Elementary Math: Number Concepts & Operations
- Elementary Math: Rounding & Estimation
- Elementary Math: Decimals, Fractions & Percents
- Elementary Math: Proportional Relationships & Number Theory
- Elementary Math: Algebraic Concepts
- Elementary Math: Geometry Concepts
- Elementary Math: Measurement Concepts
- Elementary Math: Statistics, Data & Probability
- Elementary Science: Curriculum Concepts
- Elementary Science: Inquiry & Processes
- Elementary Science: Life Science & Ecology
- Elementary Science: Earth & Space Science
- Elementary Science: Physical Science
- Elementary Science: Health
- Elementary Social Studies: Curriculum Concepts
- Elementary Social Studies: Information Processing Skills
- Elementary Social Studies: Geography
- Elementary Social Studies: History
- Elementary Social Studies: Economics
- Elementary Social Studies: US Government
- Elementary Social Studies: Anthropology & Sociology
- Elementary Music Instruction
- Elementary Art Instruction
- Elementary Physical Education Instruction
- Elementary Education Assessments