About This Chapter
Elementary Math: Decimals, Fractions & Percents - Chapter Summary
Ensure you have a quality understanding of decimals, fractions and percents by exploring the fun video lessons in this self-paced chapter. Get reacquainted with number lines, how to teach various operations and more! In no time, you will be able to:
- Discuss how to compare decimals, fractions and whole numbers using the number line
- Explain how to utilize the formula for calculating percentages
- Define and list types of fractions
- Share methods for teaching fraction and decimal operations
- Detail ways to calculate and convert fractions, decimals and percentages
The lessons in this chapter are available as entertaining videos that average 8 minutes each and full transcripts you can print or read online. Feel free to use one or both lesson formats and take our mini quizzes to check your comprehension of concepts covered. Subject-matter experts are accessible 24/7 to answer any questions you have about topics covered in the lessons. When ready, gauge your grasp of this chapter and readiness for the day of your test by taking our practice exam.
1. Using the Number Line to Compare Decimals, Fractions, and Whole Numbers
Watch this video lesson to learn how useful the number line can be when you need to compare two different numbers, be they whole numbers, decimals or even fractions. Learn how to plot these numbers on the number line so you can compare them.
2. Calculate Percentages: Formula & Overview
Learn how understanding and being able to calculate percentages can help you when shopping and when reading test scores. Also learn how to easily convert a decimal into a percentage and vice versa.
3. What is a Fraction? - Definition and Types
Fractions may be your friend's worst nightmare, but they don't have to be yours. Watch this video lesson to learn about fractions and how you can understand them easily. Also learn to identify the different types of fractions.
4. Teaching Fraction Operations: Methods & Manipulatives
Fractions are part of everyday life. Being able to add, subtract, multiply and divide fractions are important skills. In this lesson, we will discuss various methods to help students work with fractions.
5. Calculating & Converting Percentages, Fractions & Decimals
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to convert between percentages, fractions, and decimals easily and quickly. Learn the steps you need to take for each type of conversion.
6. Teaching Decimal Operations: Methods & Manipulatives
Decimal values are a consistent part of the real world. It is important to get students comfortable with decimals early on in their education. In this lesson, we will discuss various ways to teach decimals.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Elementary Education - Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment (5017): Study Guide & Practice course
- Elementary ELA: Curriculum Concepts
- Elementary ELA: Reading Foundational Skills
- Elementary ELA: Reading Comprehension
- Elementary ELA: Text Analysis
- Elementary ELA: Resource Selection & Classroom Management
- Elementary ELA: Writing Skills
- Elementary ELA: Language Structure, Meaning & Figurative Interpretation
- Elementary ELA: Speaking & Listening Skills
- Elementary Math: Curriculum Concepts
- Elementary Math: Number Concepts & Operations
- Elementary Math: Rounding & Estimation
- Elementary Math: Proportional Relationships & Number Theory
- Elementary Math: Algebraic Concepts
- Elementary Math: Geometry Concepts
- Elementary Math: Measurement Concepts
- Elementary Math: Statistics, Data & Probability
- Elementary Science: Curriculum Concepts
- Elementary Science: Inquiry & Processes
- Elementary Science: Life Science & Ecology
- Elementary Science: Earth & Space Science
- Elementary Science: Physical Science
- Elementary Science: Health
- Elementary Social Studies: Curriculum Concepts
- Elementary Social Studies: Information Processing Skills
- Elementary Social Studies: Geography
- Elementary Social Studies: History
- Elementary Social Studies: Economics
- Elementary Social Studies: US Government
- Elementary Social Studies: Anthropology & Sociology
- Elementary Music Instruction
- Elementary Art Instruction
- Elementary Physical Education Instruction
- Elementary Education Assessments