About This Chapter
Elementary Math: Proportional Relationships & Number Theory - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our expert instructors break down a variety of topics and instructional strategies for elementary math. These lessons focus on proportional relationships and number theory, and as you progress through the chapter, you'll review instructional strategies related to ratios, rates, proportions, factoring, multiples, prime numbers and composite numbers. When you're finished with the chapter material, you should be able to:
- Interpret examples of ratios and rates
- Find unit rates
- Make ratio and proportion calculations
- Teach students how to factor
- Recognize prime and composite numbers
- Define the concept of a multiple in math
When you finish a lesson, try the accompanying self-assessment quiz to check your understanding of the material. If you get a quiz question wrong, you'll be able to go back and find the correct answer within the lesson. You can submit questions though the Ask the Expert feature if you need any help with the material, and to make your studying experience flexible, we've made the chapter materials accessible on any device that has an Internet connection.
1. Ratios & Rates: Definitions & Examples
If we have two items, or two numbers, and we want to compare them, what language can we use? How do we write the comparison? Find out as we learn about ratios and rates in this lesson.
2. How to Find the Unit Rate
If we are going to use math to predict outcomes, one of the most useful measures we can establish is the unit rate of change. In this lesson, you'll learn how to find the rate of change and apply the formula to real-life examples.
3. Calculations with Ratios and Proportions
Even if only 99 out of 100 people need to know how to work with ratios, the odds that they'll be useful to you are very high. In this lesson, we'll practice performing calculations with ratios and proportions.
4. How to Teach Factoring
Learning how to factor is an important foundation to many more complex mathematical activities. This lesson will offer you a range of choices that will help you teach factoring to children.
5. Identifying Prime & Composite Numbers
In this video lesson, you will learn how to identify both prime and composite numbers. You will also learn what makes the numbers unique, as well as the characteristics of both these types of numbers.
6. What is a Multiple in Math? - Definition & Overview
In this lesson we will learn about multiples, a useful concept usually introduced in grammar school multiplication tables. Understanding multiples allows you to find the least common multiple or least common denominator for two or more numbers.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Elementary Education - Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment (5017): Study Guide & Practice course
- Elementary ELA: Curriculum Concepts
- Elementary ELA: Reading Foundational Skills
- Elementary ELA: Reading Comprehension
- Elementary ELA: Text Analysis
- Elementary ELA: Resource Selection & Classroom Management
- Elementary ELA: Writing Skills
- Elementary ELA: Language Structure, Meaning & Figurative Interpretation
- Elementary ELA: Speaking & Listening Skills
- Elementary Math: Curriculum Concepts
- Elementary Math: Number Concepts & Operations
- Elementary Math: Rounding & Estimation
- Elementary Math: Decimals, Fractions & Percents
- Elementary Math: Algebraic Concepts
- Elementary Math: Geometry Concepts
- Elementary Math: Measurement Concepts
- Elementary Math: Statistics, Data & Probability
- Elementary Science: Curriculum Concepts
- Elementary Science: Inquiry & Processes
- Elementary Science: Life Science & Ecology
- Elementary Science: Earth & Space Science
- Elementary Science: Physical Science
- Elementary Science: Health
- Elementary Social Studies: Curriculum Concepts
- Elementary Social Studies: Information Processing Skills
- Elementary Social Studies: Geography
- Elementary Social Studies: History
- Elementary Social Studies: Economics
- Elementary Social Studies: US Government
- Elementary Social Studies: Anthropology & Sociology
- Elementary Music Instruction
- Elementary Art Instruction
- Elementary Physical Education Instruction
- Elementary Education Assessments