About This Chapter
Elementary Physical Education Instruction - Chapter Summary
This self-paced chapter is filled with bite-sized lessons you can study at your own pace to build a comprehensive understanding of elementary physical education instruction. Gain greater insight into integrated curriculum, physical fitness, exercise program components, safety guidelines for physical education and more. Upon completion of this chapter, you will be able to:
- List and discuss goals and philosophies of physical education
- Detail strategies and styles of physical education teaching
- Explain how to deliver instructional feedback in physical education settings
- Share the sociocultural benefits associated with participating in fitness
- Identify various motor skills and movement concepts for improving physical education learning
- Outline how to develop sport and game skills in elementary programs
- Exhibit knowledge of skill-related and health-related physical fitness
- Describe how to improve body composition and maintain a healthy weight
Study the lessons during timeframes and in Internet-enabled locations that suit your schedule, thanks to around-the-clock mobile access. If you develop any questions about specific lesson topics, don't hesitate to submit them to our experts via the Dashboard. We offer multiple-choice quizzes that can easily test your comprehension of each lesson. You can also take our broader practice exam to ensure you fully understand the entire chapter.
1. Goals & Philosophies of Physical Education
This lesson gives you an overview of the philosophy, goals, purposes, and current trends in physical education. You'll learn how all of this ends up benefiting students in many ways.
2. Physical Education Teaching Strategies & Styles
In this lesson, we review some of these various teaching strategies and styles for physical education classes, including an explanation of the contrast between direct teaching and cooperative learning.
3. Integrated Curriculum: Physical Education Subject Matter
In this lesson, we will discuss ways to integrate curriculum from other subject areas into physical education. We will at look ways to enhance classroom concepts through P.E. activities.
4. Delivering Instructional Feedback in Physical Education Settings
The ability to give effective feedback to teachers is a powerful tool in helping them grow in their instructional practices. In this lesson, we'll examine the components that make instructional feedback valuable to teachers in physical education settings.
5. The Sociocultural Benefits of Participating in Fitness
Physical activity offers many benefits. This lesson will focus on the sociocultural benefits of participation in physical activities. We will end with a short quiz to gauge what you have learned.
6. Safety Guidelines for Physical Education
Physical education is a ton of fun, but the activities therein can be very dangerous if not properly monitored. This lesson gives you examples of safety guidelines for physical education.
7. Motor Skills & Movement Concepts to Improve Physical Education Learning
Motor skills are the basic movements that underlie all physical games and activities. An understanding of how to improve students' basic motor skills can enhance the quality of a physical education program.
8. Developing Sport & Game Skills in an Elementary Program
In this lesson, we discuss ways to develop both game and sports skills in an elementary school program, including advice on equipment and safety practices.
9. Health-Related & Skill-Related Physical Fitness
In this lesson, you will learn about the difference between health-related physical fitness and skill-related physical fitness. You will also gain a clear understanding of the characteristics that are health-related or skill-related.
10. What is Physical Fitness? - Definition & Importance
Physical fitness is your ability to carry out tasks without undue fatigue. Learn about the components of physical fitness: cardiorespiratory endurance, muscle strength, muscle endurance, flexibility and body composition and why they are important.
11. Components of Exercise Programs: Aerobics, Strength Training & Stretching
Ever wonder what stretching, strength training, and aerobic exercises are? You'll learn about them in this lesson. You'll also find out what some basic recommendations are for each type of exercise.
12. How to Improve Body Composition
In this lesson we will review ways to improve body composition. We will discuss the two major ways to change body composition which are strength training and cardiovascular training. We will also touch upon diet and safety practices.
13. Maintaining a Healthy Weight: Strategies, Methods & Effectiveness
Three major but important strategies can help you maintain a healthy weight. Throughout this lesson, we'll take a look at exercise, diet, and (believe it or not) sleep as important strategies for achieving this goal.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Elementary Education - Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment (5017): Study Guide & Practice course
- Elementary ELA: Curriculum Concepts
- Elementary ELA: Reading Foundational Skills
- Elementary ELA: Reading Comprehension
- Elementary ELA: Text Analysis
- Elementary ELA: Resource Selection & Classroom Management
- Elementary ELA: Writing Skills
- Elementary ELA: Language Structure, Meaning & Figurative Interpretation
- Elementary ELA: Speaking & Listening Skills
- Elementary Math: Curriculum Concepts
- Elementary Math: Number Concepts & Operations
- Elementary Math: Rounding & Estimation
- Elementary Math: Decimals, Fractions & Percents
- Elementary Math: Proportional Relationships & Number Theory
- Elementary Math: Algebraic Concepts
- Elementary Math: Geometry Concepts
- Elementary Math: Measurement Concepts
- Elementary Math: Statistics, Data & Probability
- Elementary Science: Curriculum Concepts
- Elementary Science: Inquiry & Processes
- Elementary Science: Life Science & Ecology
- Elementary Science: Earth & Space Science
- Elementary Science: Physical Science
- Elementary Science: Health
- Elementary Social Studies: Curriculum Concepts
- Elementary Social Studies: Information Processing Skills
- Elementary Social Studies: Geography
- Elementary Social Studies: History
- Elementary Social Studies: Economics
- Elementary Social Studies: US Government
- Elementary Social Studies: Anthropology & Sociology
- Elementary Music Instruction
- Elementary Art Instruction
- Elementary Education Assessments