About This Chapter
Elementary Science: Life Science & Ecology - Chapter Summary
This self-paced chapter makes it easy to refresh your knowledge of life science and ecology. Explore fun lessons to improve your understanding of homeostasis in plants, characteristics of living things, basic needs of living organisms and other related topics. After completing this chapter, you will be ready to:
- Share strategies for teaching life science concepts in early childhood
- Define and list the stages of a life cycle
- Exhibit knowledge of water absorption and movement in plants
- Detail how to teach ecology and environmental science concepts in early childhood
- Provide descriptions of ecosystems, habitats and ecological niches
This chapter's lessons are available 24 hours a day via your computer, smartphone or tablet of choice. Feel free to study whenever and wherever you desire! If you develop any questions about topics covered in the lessons, don't hesitate to send them to our subject-matter experts via the Dashboard. Before the day of your exam, take our multiple-choice quizzes and practice exam to assess your knowledge of key lesson concepts.
1. Teaching Life Science Concepts in Early Childhood
In this lesson, you will learn about the strategies, activities, teaching materials, tools, and technology that can be used to teach elementary students about life science.
2. Characteristics of Living Things
Have you ever wondered what makes something alive? Learn more about the characteristics that classify something as living. These shared traits can be observed in all living things in the world around us.
3. What is a Life Cycle? - Definition, Stages & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn the definition of 'life cycle' and find out about the three basic stages of a life cycle. You'll also explore examples of different life cycles.
4. Living Organisms: Basic Needs
There are many types of living organisms on Earth. But what makes us all the same is our basic needs for survival, which is a shorter list than you might think!
5. Homeostasis in Plants
In this lesson, we'll discuss what homeostasis is and how plants achieve homeostasis. We'll also talk about how plants handle heat, water, and nutrients and how they respond to their environment.
6. Water Absorption & Movement in Plants
In this lesson, you'll learn about the complex process involved in the transport and absorption of water from the roots to the leaves of different types of plants.
7. Teaching Ecology & Environmental Science Concepts in Early Childhood
When students learn about ecology and environmental science, they begin to appreciate the world better. This lesson explains the background, strategies, and activities used to teach the concepts.
8. Ecosystems, Habitats and Ecological Niches
Check out this video lesson to understand the many complex aspects of an ecosystem. See how animals live in habitats and survive amongst their surroundings.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Elementary Education - Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment (5017): Study Guide & Practice course
- Elementary ELA: Curriculum Concepts
- Elementary ELA: Reading Foundational Skills
- Elementary ELA: Reading Comprehension
- Elementary ELA: Text Analysis
- Elementary ELA: Resource Selection & Classroom Management
- Elementary ELA: Writing Skills
- Elementary ELA: Language Structure, Meaning & Figurative Interpretation
- Elementary ELA: Speaking & Listening Skills
- Elementary Math: Curriculum Concepts
- Elementary Math: Number Concepts & Operations
- Elementary Math: Rounding & Estimation
- Elementary Math: Decimals, Fractions & Percents
- Elementary Math: Proportional Relationships & Number Theory
- Elementary Math: Algebraic Concepts
- Elementary Math: Geometry Concepts
- Elementary Math: Measurement Concepts
- Elementary Math: Statistics, Data & Probability
- Elementary Science: Curriculum Concepts
- Elementary Science: Inquiry & Processes
- Elementary Science: Earth & Space Science
- Elementary Science: Physical Science
- Elementary Science: Health
- Elementary Social Studies: Curriculum Concepts
- Elementary Social Studies: Information Processing Skills
- Elementary Social Studies: Geography
- Elementary Social Studies: History
- Elementary Social Studies: Economics
- Elementary Social Studies: US Government
- Elementary Social Studies: Anthropology & Sociology
- Elementary Music Instruction
- Elementary Art Instruction
- Elementary Physical Education Instruction
- Elementary Education Assessments