About This Chapter
Elements, Compounds & Mixtures - Chapter Summary
This chapter was designed to help you learn all about elements, compounds and mixtures. Find out more about how these substances relate to one another. You can watch our video lessons to study:
- Colligative properties, molar mass and Raoult's Law
- How to calculate the dilution of solutions
- Steps for determining molarity and molality concentration
- Factors involved with the rate of dissolution
- Solutions, solubility and solubility curves
Each lesson features a timeline that will direct you to the subject matter you'd like to study. You can learn about these substances and the vocabulary words associated with them. You can also practice applying your scientific knowledge by completing the interactive quizzes that accompany each lesson.
1. Using Colligative Properties to Determine Molar Mass
In this lesson, we will explore the effect of colligative properties on a solution. We will learn how to calculate freezing point depression and see how it can be used to calculate the molar mass of an unknown substance.
2. Calculating Dilution of Solutions
Learn what a solution is and how to properly dilute a new solution from a stock solution. Learn the dilution equation that combines molarity, the volume of stock solution and desired solution to determine how much stock solution is needed for the new solution.
3. Colligative Properties and Raoult's Law
Learn how vapor pressure and osmotic pressure are colligative properties. Learn Raoult's Law and how to use it to determine the vapor pressure of a solution. Learn the equation for determining osmotic pressure and how to use it to determine the molar mass of a substance.
4. Calculating Molarity and Molality Concentration
Learn the abbreviations and meaning of molarity and molality and go over some sample calculations with given concentrations.
5. The Rate of Dissolution: Factors and Definition
Learn what dissolution is and the factors that affect the rate of dissolution, such as temperature, surface area, polarity and pressure. Learn what miscible and immiscible mean in regards to liquids.
6. Solubility and Solubility Curves
Learn what solubility is as well as the definitions of 'saturated,' 'unsaturated' and 'supersaturated.' Learn how to determine the solubility of a substance in water by using a solubility curve. Discover the effects of pressure and temperature on the solubility of liquids, solids and gases.
7. Solutions, Electrolytes and Nonelectrolytes
Learn what a solution is and how it is formed. Learn how to express the concentration of a solution in terms of molarity, molality and mass percent. Discover the differences between an electrolyte and a nonelectrolyte.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NMTA Middle Grades General Science (204): Practice & Study Guide course
- Safety Procedures and Hazards in Scientific Research
- The History and Nature of Science
- Principles and Procedures of Scientific Inquiry
- Using Math in Science
- Introduction to Matter
- Organization of Matter
- Atomic Structure & Nuclear Chemistry
- Chemical Bonds & Reactions
- The Periodic Table
- Simple Compounds & Chemical Formulas
- Phase Changes for Liquids & Solids
- Rates of Reaction
- Work, Energy, & Power in Physics
- Electricity, Potential & Capacitance in Physics
- Newton's Laws & Gravity
- Understanding Fluids in Physics
- Waves, Sound, and Light
- Overview of Cell Structure & Function
- Cellular Respiration & Photosynthesis
- Mitosis & Meiosis
- Animal Reproduction and Development
- Male Reproductive System
- Female Reproductive System
- Physiology I: The Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, Excretory, and Musculoskeletal Systems
- Physiology II: The Nervous, Immune, and Endocrine Systems
- Plant Biology
- Plant Reproduction and Growth
- Plant & Fungi Structures & Functions
- Mendelian Genetics & Mechanisms of Heredity
- The Nucleotide Structure of DNA & RNA
- Processes & Steps of DNA Replication
- The Transcription and Translation Process
- Evolution: Theories and Principles
- Classification of Organisms
- The Origin and History of Life On Earth
- Understanding Ecosystems
- Earth's Formation & Plate Tectonics
- Minerals and Rocks
- Weathering and Erosion
- The Hydrosphere
- Coastal Features & Adaptation
- The Atmosphere
- Weather and Storms
- The Solar System and Universe
- NMTA Middle Grades General Science Flashcards