About This Chapter
Elements of Chord Progression - Chapter Summary
Check out this convenient music chapter to study the theory behind chord progressions. You'll review basic chord progression rules, take a look the 12-bar blues pattern and define the musical concept of cadence. Upon completion of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Understand chord progression rules and formulas
- Outline the 12-bar blues pattern
- Recognize different types of cadences in music
The chapter's lessons are designed to be engaging, straightforward and memorable. You'll be able to retain your understanding of these chord progression topics by taking the included self-assessment quizzes and chapter exam. You can access the chapter whenever you have spare time in your schedule, and our instructors are available to answer any questions you may have.
1. Chord Progression: Music Theory, Rules & Formulas
Chord progressions are the harmonic backbone of musical structure. This lesson will explore what they are and how they are made. Also, a few common progressions will be examined.
2. 12 Bar Blues: Chords, Pattern & Examples
As a musical framework, 12-bar blues allows musicians without prior musical interaction to play together. This lesson will show you how to make a 12-bar blues pattern, and provide some examples of some famous musicians who used this chord progression.
3. Cadence in Music: Definition & Types
How do composers ensure that the endings of their pieces sound right? In this lesson, we'll look at that question and see what role the cadence has in ending a musical composition.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Music EC-12 (177): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the TExES Music EC-12 Exam
- Elements of Music Notation
- Elements of Pitch
- Elements of Melody
- Elements of Tone
- Elements of Harmony in Music
- Nonharmonic Tones
- Meter & Rhythm
- Musical Forms
- Music Sections
- Composing, Arranging & Improvising Music
- Vocal Range
- Principles of Singing
- Understanding Instruments
- Opera and Orchestral Music
- Medieval Music
- Music of the Renaissance
- Music in the Baroque Period
- The Classical Period in Music
- The Romantic Period in Music
- Jazz Music
- Musical Theater and Popular Music
- Music of the Modern Era
- Contemporary Music
- Music of the World
- Music Instruction in Texas
- Music Teaching Strategies
- TExES Music EC-12 Flashcards