About This Chapter
Elements of Pitch - Chapter Summary
Review the elements of pitch in music with this collection of fun online music lessons. Taught by expert music instructors, these lessons will help you define terms like pitch, pitch collections and octaves. By the end of the chapter you should be equipped to:
- Explain the concept of pitch in music
- Recognize examples of pitch collections
- Understand the function of octaves
You can work through the chapter at your own pace and ask our instructors questions if they arise. The chapter also comes with interactive self-assessments to help reinforce your understanding of the lesson topics. Use any computer or mobile device to access the chapter at any time that fits your schedule.
1. What Is Pitch in Music? - Definition & Concept
This lesson will explore the concept of musical pitch, which is generally thought of as the 'highness' or 'lowness' of a sound. Together with amplitude, duration, and tone color, pitch is one of the four basic elements of all musical sounds.
2. Pitch Collections: Definitions & Examples
This lesson introduces you to pitch collections, one of the most important concepts in music. You'll learn how to understand pitch collections you see in music and explore common collections.
3. Octave: Definition, Function & Examples
This lesson will teach you about the musical interval of an octave, how composers use it, and introduce you to some examples of its use in different types of music.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Music EC-12 (177): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the TExES Music EC-12 Exam
- Elements of Music Notation
- Elements of Melody
- Elements of Tone
- Elements of Harmony in Music
- Elements of Chord Progression
- Nonharmonic Tones
- Meter & Rhythm
- Musical Forms
- Music Sections
- Composing, Arranging & Improvising Music
- Vocal Range
- Principles of Singing
- Understanding Instruments
- Opera and Orchestral Music
- Medieval Music
- Music of the Renaissance
- Music in the Baroque Period
- The Classical Period in Music
- The Romantic Period in Music
- Jazz Music
- Musical Theater and Popular Music
- Music of the Modern Era
- Contemporary Music
- Music of the World
- Music Instruction in Texas
- Music Teaching Strategies
- TExES Music EC-12 Flashcards