About This Chapter
Elements of Successful Meetings - Chapter Summary
Meetings are an ongoing occurrence in most businesses, and it's good for employees to learn the elements that compose a successful meeting. In this chapter, your employees will learn about the following:
- Types of formal and informal business meetings
- How to prepare, conduct and contribute to a productive meeting
- The benefits of a virtual meeting
- Technologies used to help groups communicate and collaborate
- The elements of effective workplace communication
Your employees can watch the video lessons to learn more about what it takes to create a successful meeting. If there are concepts you'd like to cover more than others during your corporate training sessions, you can have your employees use video tags in the lessons to jump to specific topics. This chapter also offers a self-assessment quiz for each lesson and a chapter exam to gauge employees' comprehension of the materials.
How It Helps
- Increases productivity: This chapter teaches your employees the strategies they can use to successfully create, facilitate and contribute to productive meetings.
- Improves workplace communication: The lessons can help your employees become effective communicators in the workplace, which aids in creating efficient meetings and helps with other forms of information sharing.
- Encourages collaboration: As employees learn strategies for creating and participating in formal and informal meetings, they could feel inspired to take part in more collaborative efforts, which can help improve operations and increase productivity.
Upon completion of the video lessons in this chapter, employees will be able to:
- Identify various types of formal and informal business meetings
- Discuss the key elements that should always be considered when planning for a productive meeting
- Describe virtual meetings and outline types of technology used in these meetings
- Explain various types of technology used in group communication and collaboration
- Outline the four elements of effective communication in the workplace
1. Types of Business Meetings: Formal & Informal
Meetings are definitely a part of the business culture that cannot be avoided. Some meetings you may look forward to, while others you may dread. Find out the differences between formal and informal meetings, and what you should expect from each.
2. Preparing, Conducting, and Contributing to Productive Meetings
There are a few key elements that should be considered when planning for a productive meeting. Organizing an effective meeting is a monumental task that involves preparing, conducting and contributing valuable ideas, resources and information in order to be successful.
3. What Is a Virtual Meeting? - Technology & Strategies
A virtual meeting allows people and businesses from around the world to connect using video-teleconference software. Virtual meetings use video, audio, and text messaging technology for communication.
4. Technologies for Group Communication and Collaboration: Groupware, Teleconferencing & Virtual Worlds
Technologies for group communication and collaboration allow intricate business relationships to exist and deliver productivity no matter where the employee is located. Groupware, teleconferencing and virtual worlds are three ways that technology is changing the face of the workplace.
5. Elements of Effective Communication in the Workplace
Effective communication is a necessity in the workplace. There are four elements of effective communication that help improve the two-way information sharing process. These four specific elements involve being concise and clear, practical, factual and persuasive.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Running Effective Meetings course