About This Chapter
Elements of the Visual Narrative - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, your company's design employees will review the elements of visual narratives. Have your employees work through these short and engaging lessons to study the practical applications of many storytelling devices, such as:
- Narrative hooks
- The element of surprise
The lessons can be assigned at any time that fits your employees' schedules, and the lessons can be watched on any Internet-enabled device. Employees can also take the accompanying lesson quizzes to make sure they have retained these visual narrative elements.
How It Helps
- Builds awareness: The chapter's lessons help establish a thorough awareness of effective storytelling techniques.
- Defines storytelling terms: Employees will define storytelling terms in literary and design contexts.
- Improves visual storytelling skills: Lessons show your employees how to integrate concepts like narrative hooks and the element of surprise into their visual storytelling efforts.
By the end of the chapter, your company's designers should be able to:
- Define literary structure, protagonist and plot
- Recognize examples of narrative hooks
- Discuss visual media story structures
- Use protagonists and the element of surprise in visual storytelling
- Design plot and conflict in visual media
1. Structure in Literature: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will learn exactly what is meant by structure of literature. Some common methods of organization are provided. The main focus will explore the narrative structure of literature, using the popular story of Cinderella to help understand the various elements associated with this structure.
2. What is a Narrative Hook? - Definition & Examples
This lesson will assist you in understanding components of narrative hooks found in literature and how they can be applied to your writing. Learn more about narrative hooks, and test your understanding through a quiz.
3. Story Structure in Visual Media
Visual media is a powerful way to tell a story, but how does it tell a narrative? In this lesson, we'll look at narrative arcs in visual storytelling, including the types and the narrative images they use.
4. Protagonist in Literature: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will look at the term 'protagonist.' The protagonist is the main character in a piece of literature. We even see protagonists in popular movies.
5. Using Protagonists in Visual Media to Tell a Story
Visual media is often about telling a story, and every story needs a protagonist. In this lesson, we'll look at protagonists in visual storytelling, including how to use common design elements to highlight your protagonist.
6. What is Plot? - Examples & Definition
Plot is a literary term that refers to how narrative points are arranged to make a story understandable to the reader or observer. This lesson will look at the definition of plot, as well as examples of plot from well-known stories.
7. Designing Conflict & Plot in Visual Media
Conflict and plot drive visual storytelling. But, how can visual artists convey them in design? This lesson will look at the role of conflict and plot in visual media as well as design elements to help convey them.
8. Using the Element of Surprise in Visual Storytelling
How can you use the element of surprise to elicit humor, meaning, suspense and emotion among audience members? This lesson will examine how visual media in particular uses the element of surprise to tell a story.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.