About This Chapter
Elements of Workplace Mentoring - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter look at the benefits of workplace mentoring, how to establish a company mentoring programs and skills a mentor needs. Employees at all levels can learn about the following:
- Workplace relationships
- Benefits of mentoring in the workplace
- Designing a mentoring program
- Job mentoring and employee training
- Skills a mentor needs
You can organize group corporate training sessions or have your employees watch these lessons on their own, using computer or mobile device. Multiple-choice quizzes at the end of each lesson let them reflect on this information, and the end-of-chapter exams and a comprehensive final exam provide an assessment of their learning.
How It Helps
- Builds relationships: By providing these lessons, you can help your company's leaders and employees understand workplace relationships and think about ways to improve communication between colleagues.
- Offers advice: These short lessons give tips on how to design and run an effective mentoring program, with information on topics including how to set goals and track progress, so your organization can establish a program that benefits all employees.
- Presents training options: In addition to learning about mentorships, employees will study related training methods, including on-the-job training and job rotations, so they understand some options for acclimating to a new job or a new position.
After completing this chapter, your company's team leaders and members should be able to:
- Understand types of workplace relationships
- Explain the benefits of workplace mentoring
- Plan a successful mentoring program
- Describe several types of training methods
- Look at types of mentoring methods and skills a mentor needs
1. Mentoring & Networking Relationships & Interpersonal Communication in the Workplace
Communication is vital for maintaining professional relationships. In this lesson, explore how to use communication in mentors and networking, and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
2. The Advantages of Mentoring in the Workplace
This lesson will discuss the advantages of establishing mentoring programs for employees and will review several types of mentoring. We will review in detail the advantages that mentors, employers, and the professional field experience as a result of strong mentoring in the workplace.
3. How to Design a Successful Mentoring Program
Wouldn't it be nice to take your high-performing employees and clone them? While you cannot completely clone them, designing a successful mentoring program can help you develop additional high performers.
4. Methods for Training Employees: Mentoring, On-The-Job & Job Rotation
There are several different types of training methods used to acclimate an employee to a new job or even to a new position within his current organization. In this lesson, we'll discuss several different methods, including on-the-job training, job rotation and job mentoring.
5. Mentoring in the Workplace: Types & Skills
In this lesson, we will discuss the different types of mentoring available in the workplace. We will also discuss the skills required to be a good mentor.
6. Practical Application: Assessing Mentoring Skills
Mentors can be a powerful resource. But how do you know if a person would make a good mentor? An assessment form can help you think about the major skills necessary to be a mentor and how potential mentors demonstrate them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Mentoring in the Workplace course