About This Chapter
ELL Learners with Exceptionalities - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, lessons on ELL learners with exceptionalities are provided in a mobile-friendly format. Just a few of the subjects presented here include assessing ELL students, identifying giftedness and students with different disabilities. After finishing this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Outline the needs of students with learning and intellectual disabilities
- Identify ELL students with autism spectrum disorders
- Address students with communication disorders
- Understand how ELL students are assessed for special education
- Explain how giftedness is identified in special populations
Our learning materials make studying easy, and you can do so at any time on your computer, tablet or mobile phone. Help from a professional instructor is just a few clicks away in the Dashboard if you find that you need it. The lesson quizzes and chapter test are handy resources to use before you take an important exam.
1. Students with Learning Disabilities
Working with students who have learning disabilities requires a unique awareness along with special accommodations. This lesson explores the issues faced by learning disabled students.
2. Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders
This lesson will highlight issues that are relevant to teachers of students with autism spectrum disorders (ASD), including causes, diagnosis, education and transition into adulthood. A short quiz will follow to test your knowledge.
3. Students with Intellectual Disabilities
Students with intellectual disabilities have unique characteristics and special needs. This lesson defines and explains the concept of intellectual disability and considers how these students may interact and learn differently in the classroom.
4. Students with Communication Disorders
Students with communication disorders have unique needs and may have issues with speech, language, hearing, or processing. This lesson will explore communication disorders in students and will end with a brief quiz to see what you have learned.
5. Assessing ELL Students for Special Education
Teachers of English Language Learners face unique challenges in identifying students who require special education services. This lesson describes a process for fair and accurate identification of English Language Learners with special needs.
6. Strategies for Teaching Gifted ELL Students
Teaching gifted students can be rewarding, but it can also pose unique challenges. In this lesson, teachers are provided strategies and methods specifically designed for use when teaching gifted ELLs (English Language Learners).
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE ESOL K-12 (047): Practice & Study Guide course
- Cultural Elements & Adaptation
- How Cultural Differences Impact Students
- Promoting Multicultural Sensitivity & Diversity in the Classroom
- Elements of Language
- Teaching Components of Language for ELL
- Second Language Acquisition & Development
- Language Functions, Skills & Proficiency
- Second Language Literacy Development
- Literacy & Language Research
- Models of ELL Instruction
- ESOL Instructional Approaches
- Teaching Speaking & Listening Skills
- Writing Skills Instruction
- Instructional Strategies for ELL Classrooms
- Selecting & Adapting Instructional Materials for ELL Students
- Technology in ELL Instruction
- ELL Rights & Court Cases in Florida
- ELL Assessment Issues
- Language Proficiency Assessments in Florida
- Classroom-Based Assessments of ELL Students
- Collaboration & Advocacy for ELL
- Professional Development Organizations & Resources for ESOL Teachers
- FTCE ESOL K-12 Flashcards