About This Chapter
ELM Algebra: Exponents - Chapter Summary
Prepare for the ELM Math with these online video lessons. After watching, you can test your knowledge with online interactive quizzes. Topics covered in this chapter include:
- What Are the Five Main Exponent Properties?
- How to Define a Zero and Negative Exponent
- How to Simplify Expressions with Exponents
- Rational Exponents
- Simplifying Expressions with Rational Exponents
These lessons explain the concepts and have opportunities to practice what you've learned before moving on to the next chapter.
The ELM is a math proficiency exam required for all incoming students to schools in the California State University system. You can learn more about the topics on the ELM here.
The lessons in this chapter covers part of the Algebra portion of the ELM exam. Algebra constitutes about 35% of the entire exam. The lessons in this course are most closely tied to the 'use properties of exponents' objective. Other algebraic objectives covered in this course include:
- Evaluate and interpret algebraic expressions
- Simplify algebraic expressions
- Express relationships among quantities using variables
- Solve problems in context that are modeled by linear equations
- Solve quadratic and rational equations (with both numerical and literal coefficients; real solutions only)
- Solve problems in context that are modeled by quadratic equations
- Solve equations and inequalities involving absolute value (in one variable)
- Find and use slopes and intercepts of lines
Mastering the concepts covered in this chapter will provide you with a solid foundation for the ELM Math.
1. What Are the Five Main Exponent Properties?
We'll look at the five important exponent properties and an example of each. You can think of them as the order of operations for exponents. Learn how to handle math problems with exponents here!
2. How to Define a Zero and Negative Exponent
The zero and negative exponent properties are two you will use quite a lot in mathematics. The negative exponent property can be confusing, but when you remember a couple fun ideas, you will get it right every time!
3. How to Simplify Expressions with Exponents
In this video, we will put all of the exponent properties we have learned together. Don't let lots of numbers and letters confuse you! Simplifying exponents can be easy and fun!
4. Rational Exponents
In this video, learn how to go from a rational exponent to a radical expression and back. No tricks or magic, just good math! We'll review the basics and look at a few examples.
5. Simplifying Expressions with Rational Exponents
Simplifying expressions with rational exponents is so easy. In fact, you already know how to do it! We simply use the exponent properties but with fractions as the exponent!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ELM: CSU Math Study Guide course
- ELM Test - Numbers and Data: Basic Arithmetic Calculations
- ELM Test - Numbers and Data: Rational Numbers
- ELM Test - Numbers and Data: Decimals and Percents
- ELM Test - Numbers and Data: Irrational Numbers
- ELM Test - Numbers and Data: Data & Statistics
- ELM Test - Algebra: Basic Expressions
- ELM Test - Algebra: Linear Equations & Inequalities
- ELM Test - Algebra: Absolute Value Equations & Inequalities
- ELM Test - Algebra: Polynomials
- ELM Test - Algebra: Rational Expressions
- ELM Test - Geometry: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- ELM Test - Geometry: Properties of Objects
- ELM Test - Geometry: Graphing Basics
- ELM Test - Geometry: Graphing Functions
- About the ELM Test
- ELM Flashcards