About This Chapter
ELM Geometry: Perimeter, Area & Volume - Chapter Summary
Prepare for the ELM math by studying the following areas of geometry: perimeter, area & volume.
- Perimeter of triangles and rectangles
- Perimeter of quadrilaterals and irregular shapes
- Areas of triangles and rectangles
- Areas of quadrilaterals and irregular shapes
- Circles: area and circumference
- Volume of prisms and pyramids
- Volume of cylinders, cones and spheres
Each lesson breaks down the formulas and calculations using easy-to-follow examples and include opportunities to practice what you've learned. These concepts address both 2D and 3D geometric shapes. Watch our free online videos have your students test their knowledge with our interactive quizzes.
The ELM is a math proficiency exam required for all incoming students to schools in the California State University system. You can learn more about the topics on the ELM.
The lessons in this chapter address the Geometry portion of the ELM, which is about 30% of the entire exam. The Geometry topic assesses skills in a variety of areas of 2D and 3D Geometry. The lessons in this chapter most closely match the objective 'Find the perimeter, area or volume of geometric figures.'
Other Geometry-focused objectives are also addressed in this course, including:
- Defining and Understanding Properties of Objects
- Graphing Basics
- Graphing Functions
- Using the Pythagorean Theorem
1. Perimeter of Triangles and Rectangles
Without realizing it, we calculate and use the perimeter of triangles and rectangles in regular everyday situations. Learn more about the perimeter of triangles and rectangles in this lesson, and test your knowledge with a quiz.
2. Perimeter of Quadrilaterals and Irregular or Combined Shapes
Sometimes you need to figure out a shape's perimeter whether you have all the information you want or not. In this lesson, you'll learn how to find the perimeter of any quadrilateral as well as more complicated irregular and combined shapes.
3. Area of Triangles and Rectangles
How do you find out the area of rectangles and triangles? Learn how in this lesson! We'll look at the formulas, then practice solving problems for each shape.
4. Area of Complex Figures
Finding the area of shapes isn't always as simple as it is with squares and rectangles. In this lesson, you'll learn how to find the area of complex figures. This includes finding the area of unusual shapes and finding the area of parts of shapes.
5. Circles: Area and Circumference
Understanding how to calculate the area and circumference of circles plays a vital role in some of our everyday functions. They serve as the foundation for operating with three-dimensional figures. Learn more about the area and circumference of circles in this lesson.
6. Volume of Prisms and Pyramids
In this lesson, we'll learn about prisms and pyramids. We'll look at the different types of prisms and pyramids, as well as practice calculating volume for each shape.
7. Volume of Cylinders, Cones, and Spheres
In this lesson, we'll learn about the volume formulas for cylinders, cones and spheres. We'll also practice using the formula in a variety of real-world examples where knowing how to calculate volume is helpful.
8. What is Area in Math? - Definition & Formula
Area is the size of a two-dimensional surface. This lesson will define area, give some of the most common formulas, and give examples of those formulas. A quiz at the end of the lesson will allow you to work out some area problems on your own.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ELM: CSU Math Study Guide course
- ELM Test - Numbers and Data: Basic Arithmetic Calculations
- ELM Test - Numbers and Data: Rational Numbers
- ELM Test - Numbers and Data: Decimals and Percents
- ELM Test - Numbers and Data: Irrational Numbers
- ELM Test - Numbers and Data: Data & Statistics
- ELM Test - Algebra: Basic Expressions
- ELM Test - Algebra: Exponents
- ELM Test - Algebra: Linear Equations & Inequalities
- ELM Test - Algebra: Absolute Value Equations & Inequalities
- ELM Test - Algebra: Polynomials
- ELM Test - Algebra: Rational Expressions
- ELM Test - Geometry: Properties of Objects
- ELM Test - Geometry: Graphing Basics
- ELM Test - Geometry: Graphing Functions
- About the ELM Test
- ELM Flashcards