About This Chapter
ELM Basic Arithmetic Calculations - Chapter Summary
Start off your review of ELM math by learning the basics of numbers and factoring. Lessons cover:
- Types of numbers
- Whole number arithmetic
- Signed number arithmetic
- Order of operations
- Prime factorization
- Greatest Common Factors
- Least Common Multiples
Each lesson includes practice problems that you can complete to ensure that you've mastered the material. These concepts contain the building blocks for all of the other math concepts that you need to master in order to pass the ELM.
The ELM is a math proficiency exam required for all incoming students to schools in the California State University system. You can learn more about the topics on the ELM here.
The lessons in this chapter are part of the Numbers and Data topic on the ELM, which comprises about 35% of the total test. The Numbers and Data topic includes a variety of basic arithmetic objectives. The lessons in this chapter most closely correspond with the objective to 'carry out basic arithmetic calculations'.
The other objectives in the Numbers and Data topic are also taught in this course. These objectives include:
- Making estimations
- Finding mean and median
- Using ratios and proportions
- Working with fractions, decimals and percents
- Representing data in tables and graphs
Mastering all of the Numbers and Data objectives will give you a strong foundation for learning the algebra and geometry topics tested on the ELM.
1. What are the Different Types of Numbers?
Learn all of the different types of numbers: natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, irrational numbers, and real numbers. This video lesson teaches you how to classify any numbers you come across.
2. Arithmetic with Whole Numbers
There are four basic mathematical operations: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These four operations are used in a wide range of everyday skills and are the fundamental blocks of arithmetic.
3. Arithmetic Calculations with Signed Numbers
Signed numbers are often referred to as integers. Integers include both positive and negative numbers. In this lesson, you will learn how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide integers.
4. What Is The Order of Operations in Math? - Definition & Examples
The order of operations is the steps used to simplify any mathematical expression. In this video, learn how to solve problems using these steps and easy tricks to remember them.
5. How to Find the Prime Factorization of a Number
The prime factorization of a number involves breaking that number down to its smallest parts. This lesson will show you two different ways to discover the prime factorization of any number.
6. How to Find the Greatest Common Factor
If the factors of a number are the different numbers that you can multiply together to get that original number, then the greatest common factor of two numbers is just the biggest one that both have in common. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
7. How to Find the Least Common Multiple
The least common multiple of two numbers is the smallest number that can be divided evenly by your two original numbers. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ELM: CSU Math Study Guide course
- ELM Test - Numbers and Data: Rational Numbers
- ELM Test - Numbers and Data: Decimals and Percents
- ELM Test - Numbers and Data: Irrational Numbers
- ELM Test - Numbers and Data: Data & Statistics
- ELM Test - Algebra: Basic Expressions
- ELM Test - Algebra: Exponents
- ELM Test - Algebra: Linear Equations & Inequalities
- ELM Test - Algebra: Absolute Value Equations & Inequalities
- ELM Test - Algebra: Polynomials
- ELM Test - Algebra: Rational Expressions
- ELM Test - Geometry: Perimeter, Area & Volume
- ELM Test - Geometry: Properties of Objects
- ELM Test - Geometry: Graphing Basics
- ELM Test - Geometry: Graphing Functions
- About the ELM Test
- ELM Flashcards