About This Chapter
Emergency Care - Chapter Summary
Use these brief lessons to renew your understanding of emergency care, basic first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). Our instructors discuss prevention of automobile, pedestrian and water-related accidents. When you've completed this chapter, you should understand more about topics including:
- Types of emergency care
- Automotive and pedestrian safety
- Recreational and water safety
- Basic first aid
- CPR basics
Our instructors use animations, examples and humor to enliven these lessons which are available anytime on your computer or mobile device. Every lesson includes a short quiz enabling you to evaluate your learning and see where you need additional review. Read along with a text transcript containing key terms and concepts in bold type. Our Dashboard feature lets you check on your progress through the lessons and quizzes.
1. Providing Emergency Care: Types & Methods
This lesson will teach you the first important steps you may need to take during an emergency situation and some basic but important life-saving techniques you can use during such an emergency.
2. Pedestrian & Automotive Safety: Definition and Precautionary Measures
The safety of pedestrians and motor vehicle operators are often interlinked. This lesson will teach you about important safety measures you can take as a driver and a pedestrian to protect your life and those of others.
3. Water & Recreational Safety: Definition and Precautionary Measures
We all love to have fun, but that fun may come at a cost unless you are safe about recreation, namely water activities like boating and swimming. This lesson will show you why and what you can do to protect yourself.
4. Anaphylaxis & Insect Bites or Stings: First Aid
In this lesson, you're going to learn about two interrelated topics: anaphylaxis and insect bites and stings. Find out how they're related and what you can do about them.
5. Animal Bites & Poisoning: First Aid
In this lesson, you're going to learn about the important first aid techniques you should employ in the case of animal bites and poisonings while you wait for emergency services.
6. Choking, Chest Pain & Heart Attack: First Aid
First aid can save lives in the case of choking or chest pain. In this lesson, you're going to learn what you need to do if you notice someone choking or having a heart attack.
7. Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR): Definition & Procedure
Are you prepared for an emergency situation? Cardiopulmonary resuscitation, or CPR, is a potentially life-saving procedure that you can perform to help a person whose breathing and heartbeat have stopped. In this lesson, learn the procedures for giving CPR.
8. Stroke & Spine Injuries: First Aid
In this lesson, you're going to learn about the important basic first aid steps you should take when a person is suffering from a stroke or has undergone spinal trauma.
9. Frostbite & Hypothermia: First Aid
In this lesson, you're going to learn about two dangers associated with the cold: hypothermia and frostbite, as well as the basic first aid involved with both of them.
10. Burns, Heatstroke & Electrical Shock: First Aid
In this lesson, you're going to learn about the basic first aid procedures you can employ in case you or someone else suffers from an electrical shock, a minor burn, or heatstroke.
11. Bleeding, Puncture Wounds & Fractures: First Aid
In this lesson, you're going to learn important basic first aid techniques you can use to help people who are bleeding severely, who have a puncture wound, or who have a fracture.
12. Fainting & Shock: First Aid
Shock, the medical kind, is a really serious and life-threatening condition, and fainting may be a sign of a serious problem as well. This lesson will go over the basic first aid techniques you should employ in either scenario.
13. Eye Injuries & Head Trauma: First Aid
In this lesson, you're going to learn about the difference between a simple black eye and a potentially dangerous one, as well as what you should do about it. You'll also learn about cases of head trauma in general.
14. Foreign Objects: First Aid
In this lesson, you're going to learn some basic first aid techniques you can use to help yourself or others who have a foreign object stuck in their eyes, ears, nose, skin, and more.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the WEST Health/Fitness (029): Practice & Study Guide course
- Human Growth & Development
- Childhood Growth and Development
- Adolescent Growth and Development
- Adult Growth and Development
- Overview of the Human Body
- Physical Fitness & Nutrition
- Functional Properties of Nutrients
- Nutrients and the Body
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Nutritional Balance
- The Risk of Eating Disorders to Nutrition
- Emotional and Mental Health
- Enhancing Social Health
- Social Systems & Communication
- Family Structures & Issues
- Prejudice, Aggression & Conflict
- Factors Influencing Health
- Illnesses and Diseases
- Public Health Emphasis
- Health Screening
- Healthy Relationships and Sexuality
- Influences in Sexual Relationships
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Making Decisions in Health Care
- Health Protection Laws and Programs
- Media & Advertising of Health Information
- Injury Prevention and Safety Strategies
- Principles of Motor Development, Learning & Control
- Gross Anatomy & Functions of the Muscular System
- Elements of Human Growth & Energy
- Principles of Rhythmic Activities
- Principles of Gymnastic Activities
- Principles of Individual & Outdoor Activities
- Effective Teaching Strategies
- Approaches to Instruction
- Principles of Dual & Team Sports
- Principles of Cooperative & Group Games
- The Skeletal System & Connective Tissue
- Understanding & Assessing Fitness
- Principles & Benefits of Physical Fitness
- Promoting Health & Fitness Components
- Developing Physical Fitness Plans
- Impact of Physical Activity on Personal & Social Behaviors
- Teaching Techniques for Health Educators
- Managing & Coping with Stress
- Careers in Health & Fitness
- WEST Health/Fitness Flashcards