About This Chapter
Emergency Preparedness & Security for Safety Professionals - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll take a look at several emergency preparation plans and safety procedures. As you work through these bite-sized lessons, you'll see how safety professionals manage natural disasters, fires, workplace incidents and much more. Upon completion of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Assess the purpose of an emergency preparedness plan
- Explain how organizations deal with disasters, weather emergencies and environmental crises
- Discuss workplace fire safety and prevention
- Describe procedures that are used to manage incidents
- Identify precautions that should be taken with the transport of hazardous materials
The chapter is taught by expert instructors who use a simple and engaging teaching style. When you're finished with a lesson, take the accompanying self-assessment quiz to solidify your understanding of important concepts. Your dashboard will keep track of your progress throughout the chapter, and you can access these resources any time using your computer or mobile device.
1. Emergency Preparedness Plans: Purpose & Function
In this lesson we will learn about the purpose of emergency preparedness plans. We will learn how family, school, and community plans each have an individual function in ensuring safety and proper response during an emergency.
2. What Is a Business Disaster Recovery Plan? - Definition & Example
Do you know what will happen if a disaster strikes your business? Will your company respond in the best way to protect employees, customers, facilities and data? Read on to learn what a disaster plan is and how you can create one for your company.
3. Safety Precautions for Weather Emergencies
Hurricanes, tornadoes, lightning, and flooding! What should you do to prepare for weather emergencies like these? Let's learn about some important precautions to take when faced with these kinds of emergencies.
4. Disaster Management: Dealing with an Environmental Crisis
The process of dealing with an environmental crisis begins way before the crisis takes place. In this lesson we will learn the steps of disaster management, when they occur, and why they are necessary.
5. Fire Prevention & Safety in the Workplace
This lesson will teach you about OSHA standards involving Fire Prevention and Safety in the workplace. You will be able to discuss workplace Fire Prevention and Safety as it pertains to wiring, electrical needs, food preparation, and chemicals.
6. Incident Management for Safety Professionals: Definition & Procedures
In this lesson you will learn about the process safety professionals take when an incident occurs. Find out what to do to ensure things can go back to normal as soon as possible.
7. Transportation of Hazardous Materials: Precautions & Procedures
Learn about precautions to take when transporting hazardous materials in this lesson. We will also discuss procedures used in the transportation of hazardous materials and security measures.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Certified Safety Professional (CSP): Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- Core Concepts in Anatomy
- Fundamental Concepts in Chemistry
- Overview of Physics Concepts
- Microbiology for Safety Professionals
- Mathematical Concepts Overview
- Statistics for Interpreting Data
- Principles of Research Methodology
- Management Planning & Strategic Analysis
- Management Systems for Safety Professionals
- Organizational Leadership & Management Theories
- Motivation, Discipline & Communication in the Workplace
- Fundamental Concepts in Project Management
- Budgeting & Finance for Safety Professionals
- Principles of Risk Management for Safety Professionals
- Safety Management for Safety Professionals
- Workplace Hazards & Protective Equipment
- Occupational Health & Ergonomics
- Environmental Management Systems for Safety Professionals
- Workplace Training & Education
- Law & Ethics for Safety Professionals