About This Chapter
Emily Dickinson Poetry Lesson Plans & Resources - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll find lesson plans and resources you can use to teach Emily Dickinson's poetry to your classes. Topics covered here include Emily Dickinson's biography, a discussion of her works and influences, lesson plans about her life and poetry and a detailed analysis of her poem Autumn. Our professionally designed teaching resources help make these topics interesting and real to your students.
How It Helps
- Provides context: These lesson plans and lessons help give context and background to your study of Emily Dickinson by covering her life, influences and history.
- Makes planning simple: Because these lessons are available on your mobile device 24 hours a day, you can plan your curriculum at whatever time works best for you.
- Meets educational criteria: You never have to worry that your curriculum meets educational standards when you use our teaching resources, which are written by professional instructors.
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan resources with relevant tools to make planning poetry lessons easy.
- Use lesson plan outlines for specific Emily Dickinson poetry topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your poetry class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related poetry lessons with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important poetry concepts from the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant poetry-related activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. Emily Dickinson Lesson Plan
This lesson plan utilizes a text lesson with discussion questions, as well as a group activity focused on the life of Emily Dickinson. An exit ticket and extension ideas are also included.
2. Emily Dickinson: Biography, Works & Influences
Emily Dickinson's reclusive nature kept the extent of her poetry prowess a secret. Read on to discover how influential this shut-in was to the world of poetry.
3. Emily Dickinson Poems Lesson Plan
Who was Emily Dickinson and what was her contribution to American literature? This lesson plan uses a text lesson to explain critical facts about the life and work of Emily Dickinson. An activity connects students with some of Dickinson's best known poems.
4. Emily Dickinson: Poems and Poetry Analysis
Emily Dickinson was a well-known poet of the mid-1800s whose numerous works have stood the test of time. But what in the world did her poems really mean? In this video, we'll explore one of her most recognized pieces and analyze its meaning and purpose.
5. Autumn by Emily Dickinson Lesson Plan
Rhyme patterns, personification, and slant rhyme will be explored through the poem 'Autumn' by Emily Dickinson. Students will develop multimedia poem presentations as a culminating activity.
6. Autumn by Emily Dickinson: Poem Analysis & Meaning
This lesson explains the meaning of Emily Dickinson's short poem 'Autumn.' In it, we'll analyze its structure, unusual rhyme pattern, and use of figurative language.
7. A Bird Came Down the Walk Lesson Plan
This lesson plan will teach your students about the poem 'A Bird Came Down the Walk' by Emily Dickinson. They will also participate in a fun hands-on activity about the poem to reinforce concepts.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Poetry Lesson Plans & Activities course
- Reading & Writing Poetry Lesson Plans
- Alliteration Lesson Plans & Activities
- Walt Whitman Poetry Lesson Plans
- Poetry & Poets Lesson Plans
- Humor in Poetry Lesson Plans
- American Poetry & Poets Lesson Plans
- Robert Frost Poems Lesson Plans
- Forms of Poetry Lesson Plans
- Poetry in the Ancient World: Lesson Plans
- Lesson Plans for Langston Hughes' Poetry
- Romantic Poets Lesson Plans
- Poems for Kids