About This Chapter
Emotional and Mental Health - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you will learn all about emotions and the factors involved in emotional health and disorders. You will be introduced to differing theories of emotion and can find out about mental health and psychopathology: how they are defined and how they differ from one another. This chapter discusses the different types of psychopathology, emphasizing mood and depressive disorders as well as stress-related emotional conditions.
Short videos explain the origins of stress: the fight-or-flight response and the general adaptation syndrome and how these are involved in creating emotional experiences. As you progress through the chapter you'll come to see where stress comes from, how it is defined and the impact it can have on overall health. After completing this chapter, you should be able to:
- Define emotions and explain how they are categorized
- Explain the sense of self and self-socialization
- Define mental disorder
- Recognize mood disorders
- Explain the types, causes, and treatments of depressive disorders
- Discuss the phases of the general adaptation syndrome
- Define suicide and understand its triggers, causes, and prevention strategies
The video lessons used in this chapter are fast and flexible, so you can quickly learn all the key concepts associated with emotional and mental health. Videos can be watched from any location using your mobile device, and each can be viewed in about 5 minutes. Use the quizzes that follow each lesson to gauge your comprehension before moving on to the next topic and refer back to key points in each video with our video tags.
1. Mental Health Development During Childhood and Adolescence
Some mental illnesses can show up at any point in a person's life, but some first occur during specific stages of lifespan development. In this lesson, we'll look closer at some disorders that appear in childhood, adolescence, and old age.
2. Mental Health & Psychopathology: Definition & Dimensions
In this lesson, we will explore some of the basic ways that we differentiate between mental health and psychopathology. Included in this is looking at social, behavioral, thought, and emotional processes.
3. Mental Health Counseling: Definition & Techniques
This lesson explores areas dealing with patients, mental health settings, and preventative measures that counselors can take when doing mental health counseling.
4. Self Identity: Theory & Definition
Self Identity refers to the ways in which an individual identifies themselves. Examine the theory and definition of self identity including society's role in self identity, the difference between social and self identity, the social identity theory, the definition of self-esteem and introspection, and the changing roles of self identity throughout life.
5. Understanding Stress: Eustress, Distress & Coping Strategies
Eustress is a form of stress that has good effects, while distress is a form of stress that has negative effects. Explore the effects of stress and learn some coping strategies.
6. General Adaptation Syndrome: Definition, Phases & Changes
The general adaptation syndrome is a predictable series of phases related to stress. This lesson will explore some of the physiological and psychological changes associated with each phase.
7. Stress & Adaptation: Effects, Defense Mechanisms & Coping Strategies
In this lesson, we explore the stress response and how people typically deal with stressful situations. We give a nod to situations older people have to deal with and what they are likely to do in response.
8. Understanding Anxiety Disorders: Definition and Perspectives in Mental Health
Anxiety disorders are the most common type of mental disorder, affecting as many as one in four people. In this lesson, we will explore anxiety disorders including common causes, symptoms, and treatments.
9. What Is Depression? - Symptoms, Treatment & Causes
In this lesson you will learn the difference between the feeling of depression and Major Depressive Disorder, or Major Depression. You will also learn about the causes behind Major Depression and what the current treatments are for people suffering from the disorder.
10. What Is Suicide? - Definition, Triggers, Underlying Causes & Prevention
Suicide, which is the act of taking one's own life, can be the result of a number of reasons but can also be prevented. Explore five reasons that people die by suicide, some of the triggers that can lead to suicide, and the four main prevention methods.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Health Education (211): Test Practice and Study Guide course
- Overview of the Human Body
- Human Development
- Childhood Growth and Development
- Adolescent Growth and Development
- Adult Growth and Development
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition
- Lipids in Nutrition
- Protein in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals in Health & Nutrition
- Mineral Deficiency & Toxicity in the Body
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Principles of Nutritional Health
- Substance Use, Abuse and Dependence
- Safety and Injury Prevention Strategies
- Physical Fitness Benefits
- Human Sexuality
- Family and Social Systems
- Dealing with Negative Social Behavior
- Public Health Emphasis
- Health Risk Factors
- Health Information Resources
- Media & Advertising in Health Information
- Health Care Delivery Systems
- Medical Emergency Care
- Health Education Programs
- Planning & Implementing Health Education Programs
- Evaluating Health Education Programs
- ILTS Health Education Flashcards