About This Chapter
Emotional & Mental Health Management - Chapter Summary
Our knowledgeable instructors go over the development of mental health during childhood and adolescence. You can review the different dimensions of psychopathology and learn why certain individuals grow up a little bit different. The chapter also reviews counseling approaches so you get an idea of how different psychopathologies are treated in children and teens. After you finish with this chapter, you will know more about:
- Definition and types of mental health counseling
- Stress and adaptation
- Symptoms, causes and treatment of depression
- Different aspects of anxiety disorders
- Definition and triggers of suicide
Progressing through each lesson isn't hard as each of the videos is short. Online instructors break down important topics, making them easy to understand. If you need to revisit a certain topic, all you have to do is use the video tags located in the timeline. These tags let you quickly navigate to a certain part in a video. There are also self-assessment quizzes available to help you assess your knowledge of mental and emotional health topics.
1. Mental Health Development During Childhood and Adolescence
Some mental illnesses can show up at any point in a person's life, but some first occur during specific stages of lifespan development. In this lesson, we'll look closer at some disorders that appear in childhood, adolescence, and old age.
2. Mental Health & Psychopathology: Definition & Dimensions
In this lesson, we will explore some of the basic ways that we differentiate between mental health and psychopathology. Included in this is looking at social, behavioral, thought, and emotional processes.
3. Mental Health Counseling: Definition & Techniques
This lesson explores areas dealing with patients, mental health settings, and preventative measures that counselors can take when doing mental health counseling.
4. Self Identity: Theory & Definition
Self-identity plays a large and significant role in shaping each of our lives. Learn about self-identity in psychology, and test your understanding with a quiz.
5. Stress & Adaptation: Effects, Defense Mechanisms & Coping Strategies
In this lesson, we explore the stress response and how people typically deal with stressful situations. We give a nod to situations older people have to deal with and what they are likely to do in response.
6. Understanding Anxiety Disorders: Definition and Perspectives in Mental Health
Anxiety disorders are the most common type of mental disorder, affecting as many as one in four people. In this lesson, we will explore anxiety disorders including common causes, symptoms, and treatments.
7. What Is Depression? - Symptoms, Treatment & Causes
In this lesson you will learn the difference between the feeling of depression and Major Depressive Disorder, or Major Depression. You will also learn about the causes behind Major Depression and what the current treatments are for people suffering from the disorder.
8. What Is Suicide? - Definition, Triggers, Underlying Causes & Prevention
Why would a person take their own life? And what can be done to prevent it? In this lesson, we'll look at the reasons for, triggers of, and prevention of suicide.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Health (023): Practice & Study Guide course
- Personal Health & Wellness
- Factors Influencing Health
- Disease & Illness
- Functional Properties of Nutrients
- Nutrition Basics
- How Vitamins Support Nutrition
- Nutritional Balance
- Eating Disorders & Treatments
- Physical Fitness & Nutrition
- Promoting Healthy Lifestyles: Stress Management
- Sexual & Reproductive Health
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Strategies for Injury Prevention
- Interpersonal Communication Techniques
- Discrimination, Aggression & Conflict
- Personal & Family Health Decisions
- Setting Health Goals
- Health Education Programs
- Influences on Health Information
- Academic Health Education Programs
- Ohio Assessments for Educators Health Flashcards