About This Chapter
Emotions & Moods in Organizations - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Emotions and moods are always present in the workplace. They can be helpful in determining the success or failure of a work environment. This chapter introduces you to how emotions and moods are displayed in the workplace. Instructors will use engaging video lessons to teach you about important topics like emotional intelligence and gender differences in regards to emotions. You can use the multiple-choice quizzes in each chapter to test your comprehension of the material. The topics in this chapter include:
- The purpose of emotions in the workplace
- How men and women may experience emotions differently at work
- Emotional labor and dissonance in the workplace
- Affective Events Theory
- What emotional intelligence is and how it relates to the workplace
|Emotions in the Workplace: Purpose & Functions||Distinguish how emotions and moods can help determine if a work environment is positive or negative.|
|Felt Emotions vs. Displayed Emotions: Definitions & Gender Differences||Classify the types of emotions and conclude how genders may display emotions differently.|
|Emotional Labor and Dissonance in the Workplace: Definition & Effect on Employees||Calculate the impact that emotional labor and dissonance have in the workplace.|
|Affective Events Theory (AET): Definition & Applications||Summarize Affective Events Theory and its applications.|
|Emotional Intelligence in the Workplace: Definition & Meaning||Explain the meaning of emotional intelligence and why this is important at work.|
1. Emotions in the Workplace: Purpose & Functions
Emotions in the workplace are essential indications of a positive or negative job environment. Positive emotions can increase worker motivation and performance, while negative emotions can cause stress and high turnover or absenteeism.
2. Felt Emotions vs. Displayed Emotions: Definitions & Gender Differences
This lesson defines the concepts of felt and displayed emotions, as well as the differences between them. It goes over how they apply to the workplace and how these emotions may differ between genders.
3. Emotional Labor and Dissonance in the Workplace: Definition & Effect on Employees
Emotions play an important part in how employees function during the work day. Emotional labor and emotional dissonance reflect how challenging it can be for employees to maintain a helpful, caring attitude when inside, they may be dealing with negative personal or work issues.
4. Affective Events Theory (AET): Definition & Applications
Affective events theory (AET) explains how emotions are central to employees' job satisfaction and job performance. Managers need to understand how workers are impacted emotionally by events at work.
5. Emotional Intelligence in the Workplace: Definition & Meaning
Emotional intelligence (EI) is a vital element of a successful business. In this lesson, we will look at exactly what EI is, how it shapes a workplace, and how managers and employees can learn to improve their EI skills.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Organizational Behavior: Help and Review course
- The Evolution of Organizational Behavior: Help and Review
- Management and Organizational Behavior: Help and Review
- Foundations of Individual Behavior: Help and Review
- Personality and Behavior in Organizations: Help and Review
- Emotions and Moods in the Workplace: Help and Review
- Attitudes and Values in the Workplace: Help and Review
- Ethics in the Workplace: Help and Review
- Perception and Attribution: Help and Review
- Learning in the Workplace: Help and Review
- Employee Motivation: Help and Review
- Individual Decision Making in Organizations: Help and Review
- Workforce Diversity: Help and Review
- Organizational Communication in Business: Help and Review
- Groups and Work Teams: Help and Review
- Group Decision Making: Help and Review
- Conflict in the Workplace: Help and Review
- Leadership in Organizational Behavior: Help and Review
- Leadership Theory in Organizational Behavior: Help and Review
- Leadership Styles in Organizational Behavior: Help and Review
- Organizational Structure and Design: Help and Review
- Job Design: Help and Review
- Organizational Culture: Help and Review
- Organizational Change and Organizational Behavior: Help and Review
- Managing Workplace Stress: Help and Review
- Career Management: Help and Review
- Theories of Leadership
- Leadership Styles
- Individual Behavior in Organizations
- Global Implications of Organizational Behavior: Help and Review