About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help understanding Western Civilization from 1648 to the Present will benefit from taking this course. You will be able to grasp the subject matter faster, retain critical knowledge longer and earn better grades. You're in the right place if you:
- Have fallen behind in understanding Western economic conditions during the 18th century or working with the treaty that ended the War of Spanish Succession.
- Need an efficient way to learn about empire expansion in the 18th century.
- Learn best with engaging auditory and visual tools.
- Struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD.
- Experience difficulty understanding your teachers.
- Missed class time and need to catch up.
- Can't access extra history resources at school.
How it works:
- Start at the beginning, or identify the topics that you need help with.
- Watch and learn from fun videos, reviewing as needed.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Submit questions to one of our instructors for personalized support if you need extra help.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Empire and Expansion in the 18th Century chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Empire and Expansion in the 18th Century chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any relevant question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
In this chapter, you'll learn the answers to questions including:
- What were some of the unique trends found in 18th century world economies?
- How did 18th century economies affect culture and society?
- How did the Treaty of Utrecht impact the European balance of power?
- What were the causes and consequences associated with the War of Austrian Succession?
- How did the Seven Years' War affect England's standing as a European power?
1. World Economies in the 1700s: Trends, Factors & Characteristics
In this lesson, we explore the economic trends of 18th-century Europe and the demographic and ideological factors which made the Industrial Revolution possible.
2. Society & Culture of the 18th Century
In this lesson, we explore 18th-century European society and how it changed due to factors such as freer markets and population growth. We'll also learn about the popular culture enjoyed by those with enough leisure time to indulge in it.
3. The Peace of Utrecht: Definition & Impact
In this lesson, we explore the Peace of Utrecht that ended the War of the Spanish Succession and the widespread ramifications it had for the emerging and declining powers of Western Europe.
4. The War of Austrian Succession: Summary and Effects on the World
In this lesson, we explore the War of the Austrian Succession and the ramifications it had on Western Europe and the pretexts for the later conflict it created.
5. The Seven Years' War: History & Impact
In this lesson we explore the Seven Years' War, a global conflict that was fought in central Europe and in North America, which had important financial and territorial ramifications for its participants.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Western Civilization 1648 to the Present: Help and Review course
- Western European Absolutism (1648-1715): Help and Review
- Eastern European Power Shifts (1648-1740): Help and Review
- The Scientific Revolution (1500-1790): Help and Review
- The French Revolution & Napoleon (1780-1815): Help and Review
- Industrialization From 1700-1900: Help and Review
- Political Developments From 1760-1848: Help and Review
- The Age of Nationalism: Help and Review
- European Life and Trends From 1850-1914: Help and Review
- Imperialism in the 19th and 20th Centuries: Help and Review
- World War I (1914-1919): Help and Review
- The Years Between the World Wars: Help and Review
- World War II (1939-1945): Help and Review
- Western Civilization Since 1945: Help and Review
- Topics in Philosophy Since 1600