About This Chapter
Employee Hiring & Promotion - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, we've provided expertly written video lessons on employee hiring and promotion for your study. Topics such as human resource management and the hiring process are just a few of the subjects included here. After working through these lessons, you should be able to:
- Discuss hiring and staffing as outlined by human resource management
- Detail the HR recruitment and hiring process
- Explain the impact of the Civil Rights Acts of 1964 and 1991 on human resource management
- Outline equal employment opportunity regulations and ADA law
- Identify the rights and responsibilities under USERRA
- Describe the processes used for staff promotion and transfer
When you work through this chapter, you'll find interesting videos, helpful quizzes and printable lesson transcripts you can study offline anytime. To ensure you're able to study at your convenience, we've made sure these materials are mobile-friendly and accessible 24 hours a day. Don't worry about challenging subjects when you have the help of an instructor available through the Dashboard if you need it.
1. Human Resource Management: Hiring and Staffing
In this lesson, we will explore the role a manager plays in human resource management, including hiring and staffing. We will also look at the circumstances affecting employment decisions such as promotion, turnover, downsizing, job redesign and termination.
2. The Hiring Process: How Human Resource Managers Recruit and Hire Employees
When a company is hiring, they need to ensure that they hire the right employees. There are several different steps involved in the hiring process. This lesson explains these steps that include application forms, testing, interviewing, reference checks and health exams.
3. Relation of the Civil Rights Acts of 1964 and 1991 to Human Resource Management
The Civil Rights Act of 1964 is one of the most influential laws affecting employment in the United States. The Civil Rights Act of 1991 amended some of its provisions. In this lesson, you'll learn about how each Act applies to HR Management.
4. Equal Employment Opportunity: ADA Law & Regulations
One of the most important employment laws on the books for human resource managers is the Americans with Disabilities Act. In this lesson, you'll learn some of its key provisions and concepts. A short quiz follows.
5. USERRA: Definition, Rights & Responsibilities
The lesson discusses the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994. It addresses the rights uniformed service members have, along with the responsibilities of their civilian employers.
6. Staff Promotion & Transfer
Recruiting employees from within an organization can improve employee motivation and morale and be cheaper than recruiting externally. Staff promotions and transfers are two methods of internal recruiting we will discuss in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Association of Legal Administrators CLM Exam: Study Guide course
- General Accounting Concepts
- Cost & Fixed Asset Accounting
- Organization Structures & Accounting
- Payroll Accounting
- Trust Accounting
- Banking & Investment Policies & Procedures
- Financing & Leasing in Accounting
- Financial Analysis & Reporting
- Budgeting & Model Building
- Principles of Business Planning
- Business Development
- Overview of Project Management
- Legal Industry Ethics, Liabilities & Insurance
- Introduction to Technology for Law Firms
- Law Office Facilities Management
- Workplace Health Issues
- Employee Compensation & Benefits
- Employee Training & Motivation
- Employee Performance Appraisal & Management
- Styles of Leadership
- Organizational Development & Management
- Association of Legal Administrators CLM Exam Flashcards